Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photos and Mac Photos app not syncing

Hi all,

I'd like to sync the photos I've taken on my iPhone 6 to the photos app on my MacBook Pro 13 (both updated– iPhone running iOS 11.4.1 and Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6). Usually I manually import the photos by plugging the phone in, however with the storage optimization feature on it's not possible to import the photos manually because they aren't stored on the iPhone, but for some reason iCloud isn't stepping in to sync them. I have checked the phone and the computer and both have iCloud enabled. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Meghan

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 7, 2018 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2018 5:22 AM

I have checked the phone and the computer and both have iCloud enabled. Any help would be appreciated.

You mean, iCloud Photo Library is enabled on the iPhone?

What does the status show on your Mac? You can see the status at the bottom of the Photos view in Photos. Does it show "Updated just now" or does it show uploading? See this document: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

You may also want to check with the two smart albums mentioned in the document for items that cannot upload to iCloud Photo Library.

Photos should start to download the new photos from your iPhone, once it has finished to upload all photos from the Mac's photo library to iCloud. This can take many days for a large library. Once all photos from your Mac have been merged into the iCloud Photo Library, it will download the new photos from your iPhone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2018 5:22 AM in response to meghanfrombethesda

I have checked the phone and the computer and both have iCloud enabled. Any help would be appreciated.

You mean, iCloud Photo Library is enabled on the iPhone?

What does the status show on your Mac? You can see the status at the bottom of the Photos view in Photos. Does it show "Updated just now" or does it show uploading? See this document: Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

You may also want to check with the two smart albums mentioned in the document for items that cannot upload to iCloud Photo Library.

Photos should start to download the new photos from your iPhone, once it has finished to upload all photos from the Mac's photo library to iCloud. This can take many days for a large library. Once all photos from your Mac have been merged into the iCloud Photo Library, it will download the new photos from your iPhone.

iCloud photos and Mac Photos app not syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.