Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting undeletable photos

Hello,

I mistakenly synched some of my photos on my Mac to my iPhone 7 and now I can't delete them. It's about 4 gb. Photos shows nothing, but under Photos (documents and data 4gb)!!

The photos I need removed are in Photos but not in the Albums tab of Photos. Holy confusion.

The normal way of deleting photos is not an option. The waste basket icon is not accessible.

How do I get rid of these? I have gone through iTunes and my phone, photos, clicked sync and unchecked it in order to Remove the photos, but they are still there.

Please help!

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Aug 10, 2018 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2018 1:45 AM

If you synced the photos to your iPhone using iTunes, you have to sync the iHone again with iTuns and this time do not select an album to sync. Synced photos can only be deleted by syncing again with iTunes.

Or use the brute force method to enable iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone (in Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos). This will remove the iTunes synced photos as well, because iCloud Photo Library cannot be used with iTunes Photos sync. Disable iCloud Photo Library again immediately after the iTunes photos have been removed. You will not want to waste bandwidth by actually uploading your photos to iCloud.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2018 1:45 AM in response to crosserss22

If you synced the photos to your iPhone using iTunes, you have to sync the iHone again with iTuns and this time do not select an album to sync. Synced photos can only be deleted by syncing again with iTunes.

Or use the brute force method to enable iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone (in Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos). This will remove the iTunes synced photos as well, because iCloud Photo Library cannot be used with iTunes Photos sync. Disable iCloud Photo Library again immediately after the iTunes photos have been removed. You will not want to waste bandwidth by actually uploading your photos to iCloud.

Deleting undeletable photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.