Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive on Mac problems

I am still having problems with iCloud Drive on Macintosh.

I'm am using iCloud Drive (without the Desktop and Documents option) on my MacBook Pro and my iMac. I turned on the Desktop and Documents option on both, removing the local copies. This was not what I needed so I reinstalled both machines from Time Machine backups.

Now the problem is that I have iCloud Drive visible and accessible on the MacBook (without the Desktop and Documents option) but not the iMac. I tried flipping the iCloud options on the iMac, thus wiped out local copies of Documents and Desktop, but still did not see the rest of the iCloud Drive that I have. So I reinstalled the iMac (again!) but even with iCloud Drive switched on and Documents and Desktop option switched off, I still can't get the iCloud Drive mounted.

Is there a solution? Or is it that once you've used iCloud Drive with Documents and Desktop on a machine, you can never go back to using iCloud Drive *without* them? This is a major issue because I don't have a reliable always-on network connection and sync just takes forever. But I also have documents that I absolutely need to access from both machines. However, shared/merged desktop doesn't work for me.

iCloud guru needed!

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Aug 11, 2018 8:18 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 11, 2018 6:31 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply. I've made a mess of iCloud Drive by not understanding fully how it works. I think it's really *evil* of Apple to implement the Documents and Desktop option in a way that its impossible to go back - all *local* files are wiped, not the remote ones. This is absolutely unacceptable for my work and environment.

Anyway, here's what I've got on my iMac:-

User uploaded file

This is really a mess because 'Documents' in the sidebar is local and OK, but iCloud Drive shows the documents I had there before switching "Document and Desktop" on and off, *plus* iCloud Document and Data for both my machines. I've tried restoring both machines from Time Machine backups and then switching on iCloud leaving the Document and Data off, but I get to the situation shown above. I have some important reference docs *only* in iCloud that I can't lose.

I'm located in Thailand so even with a 20MBPS fibre all the synchs take a while.

--

Aug 12, 2018 12:27 PM in response to Stephenscribe

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Mobile Documents. Do you see the files there. Can your drag the to the desired location? For the files in iCloud Drive, can you copy them to your computer?

iCloud Drive on Mac problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.