Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet Usage tracker

Can anyone recommend an App for my apple devices (computer, laptop, iPad, iPhones) that enables me to monitor all data usage activities including unseen background usage.

I understand that it is possible the SW will have to be added to each device individually.

I am asking for this advice because I am consuming data that I cannot account for and that cannot be put down to fraud or hacking.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), IOS 10.10.1

Posted on Aug 13, 2018 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 5:12 AM

Look into an app named "Bandwidth+" by Harold Chu. It's on the Mac App Store.

It merely tallies all network activity including data that never leaves your LAN. As such it is not ideally suited for the purpose you describe, but I don't have anything else to suggest strictly by way of an app.

To investigate potentially unauthorized use of your network will require some effort. Start by making sure your router is secure both physically and with a unique device password. An astonishing number of people never bother to change a router password from its default ("admin") much to the delight of hackers all over the world. Needless to say any wireless network should have its own secure password too.

It will be time-consuming but you might also try turning off suspect devices overnight, one by one, until you find the culprit.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2018 5:12 AM in response to Navrider

Look into an app named "Bandwidth+" by Harold Chu. It's on the Mac App Store.

It merely tallies all network activity including data that never leaves your LAN. As such it is not ideally suited for the purpose you describe, but I don't have anything else to suggest strictly by way of an app.

To investigate potentially unauthorized use of your network will require some effort. Start by making sure your router is secure both physically and with a unique device password. An astonishing number of people never bother to change a router password from its default ("admin") much to the delight of hackers all over the world. Needless to say any wireless network should have its own secure password too.

It will be time-consuming but you might also try turning off suspect devices overnight, one by one, until you find the culprit.

Aug 14, 2018 8:21 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you John for your speedy response. It was much appreciated but I think I have found the answer to my problem.

I used a Vodafone "video pass" that I thought was protecting my data during streaming of videos on Netflix etc. This was applied over the phone so I did not receive advice on limitations of use apart from the platforms that it supported, Netflix being one of those supported.

It transpires that even on a supported platform it uses one's own data allowance if you are watching on anything other than a mobile or tablet (iPad).

I was watching a series on a smart TV having activated the Netflix App on the TV. An HD film would therefore be consuming 3-4Gb? of my data allowance per session and the MiFi device had a 14Gb data allowance. Little wonder that it was drained so dramatically. I am therefore recording the time and date when I access Netflix and checking this the next day with data usage available from Vodafone to confirm my suspicions.

Aug 14, 2018 8:59 AM in response to Navrider

Navrider wrote:

I am asking for this advice because I am consuming data that I cannot account

"Bandwidth+" ver 1.11 Has worked really well for me.

This will only tell you bandwidth used up and down—not an itemized inventory of what was used where.

Some routers have a capacity to log URL, block certain URL etc. A typical way to log into your router us http://192.168.1.1/

Aug 14, 2018 8:42 AM in response to leroydouglas

Good support for "Bandwidth+" so thanks for that.

I am using two MiFi 50GB Vodafone "dongles" running off a 4G mobile signal. Will the"Bandwidth+" be able to access data usage (Up and Down) on these devices. Sorry if this is a silly question but I'm ignorant about such matters but it seems to me this is not a network running via a router?

Also, if it will can it be loaded onto my iMac, iPhone and iPad?

Aug 14, 2018 8:59 AM in response to John Galt

I just wanted to say that although I reported what I thought was the reason for the excessively fast use of data based on my recollection of use I have now downloaded bandwidth onto my Mac and it seems to be immediately working in the background. It will be helpful to have this information into the future.

Thank you for the advice.

internet Usage tracker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.