Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up WebDAV (with wfsctl) on macOS High Sierra with Server 5.6.1?

After having upgraded to High Sierra with Server 5.6.1 I want to recreate the WebDAV shares I had. I've used wfsctl to create a share point. The share point has ACL for a specific user. So far so good and wfsctl lists the share, but since Server.app is configuring Apache (a web site is running too) something must be done to make it work. "The Apache http instance for WFS should be configured to run behind macOS Server's proxy." wfsctl diagnose says "Config is valid", btw.

What do I need to do to make this work?

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), Server 5.3

Posted on Aug 13, 2018 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2018 3:13 AM

And ... I found the solution (so far).

The issue was that I did not use Wiki Server before on macOS Sierra + Server. Wiki Server was turned off. However, to enable WebDAV sharing on macOS High Sierra + Server, you need to activate Wiki Server in Server.app and turn WebDAV sharing on.

The tip was found on Tod Olthoff's blog: http://www.toddolthoff.com/blog_files/c6e4e39502d35b674693ad80ac2ca042-445.html

So, the only thing I had to do to get my wfsctl managed WebDAV shares running again was to turn Wiki Server on and WebDAV sharing on in Wiki Server.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2018 3:13 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

And ... I found the solution (so far).

The issue was that I did not use Wiki Server before on macOS Sierra + Server. Wiki Server was turned off. However, to enable WebDAV sharing on macOS High Sierra + Server, you need to activate Wiki Server in Server.app and turn WebDAV sharing on.

The tip was found on Tod Olthoff's blog: http://www.toddolthoff.com/blog_files/c6e4e39502d35b674693ad80ac2ca042-445.html

So, the only thing I had to do to get my wfsctl managed WebDAV shares running again was to turn Wiki Server on and WebDAV sharing on in Wiki Server.

Aug 16, 2018 1:01 PM in response to Gerben Wierda

Not sure if this helps or not but the wfsctl manual page states:

Any share points created in the UI on versions of macOS Server that predate High Sierra remain across updates, and those that were marked as WebDAV share points should continue to be available after the update to High Sierra, whether or not macOS Server is installed.

I could be wrong but perhaps WebDAV "just works" when updating to HS?

Aug 17, 2018 1:20 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

No, this does not help, sorry. The problem is that using wfsctl while Server.app is in use presents a problem. And I have already upgraded, as I wrote.

The problem was created by the upgrade to High Sierra from Sierra. On Sierra the WebDAV shares were managed by Server.app. The upgrade to High Sierra turned these into SMB shares managed by System Preferences. These shares are useless for me. So, I need a way/workaround to recreate the WebDAV shares on a High Sierra system that also runs Server.app. Probably this will entail some deep Apache configuration, but I'm not experienced with that.

Aug 18, 2018 2:54 AM in response to William Fiveash

I already found Krypted before asking here.

Krypted is as far as my experience goes extremely accurate, in this case it includes the sentence "From what I can tell so far, this should not be run on servers that have either of the macOS Server app web services running." And as krypted professes uncertainty here, I thought I could try to find out a way to do the combination after all.

It seems to me that is Server.app is managing Apache, the wfsctl management of Apache gets ignored. So, what is needed is a way (if need be by hand) to move the wfsctl created configuration to the Server.app-managed one.

How to set up WebDAV (with wfsctl) on macOS High Sierra with Server 5.6.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.