Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 13" 2018 random freeze

I got my 2018 macbook pro 13" three weeks ago. The computer freeze at least twice. It requires hard reboot. Where should I start to look for fault? The system isn't under heavy load nor was it hot.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2018 8:24 AM

I'm having the exact same problem on my 2018 13" Macbook Pro. I've had it just three weeks and it's frozen four times. I restarted the device in Safe Mode two days ago and back in normal mode today and it froze again.

Apps running at the time: Mail, Safari, Chrome, Grammarly, Calendar, Messages, Slack, and Amazon Music.

222 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2018 8:24 AM in response to raina_b22

I'm having the exact same problem on my 2018 13" Macbook Pro. I've had it just three weeks and it's frozen four times. I restarted the device in Safe Mode two days ago and back in normal mode today and it froze again.

Apps running at the time: Mail, Safari, Chrome, Grammarly, Calendar, Messages, Slack, and Amazon Music.

Aug 15, 2018 7:07 AM in response to hatsune07

Hello hatsune07,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding your MacBook Pro has been intermittently freezing. I can surely see how this could be concerning, especially since your Mac was recently purchased. I'm happy to help.

In some cases peripheral devices can cause unexpected behaviors. I recommend removing devices such as printers, and see if the issue persists. Also, make sure all apps are up to date and compatible with macOS. If your Mac continues to freeze, try starting in safe mode. Starting in safe mode allows your Mac to run certain checks, remove caches, and prevent login items from automatically launching. This can isolate possible third party issues. Use the steps and information in the link below for assistance with safe mode:
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue persists, test in another user account. This will help determine if the issue is user specific or system wide.
How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If the behavior continues, tell us if this occurs with a specific app. Please include error messages and any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a wonderful day!

Sep 28, 2018 2:24 AM in response to hatsune07

If the Mac is this new it is definitely still covered by "Apple Telephone Technical Support" which is 90 days - If I were you, personally I would contact experts via phone.

You can also use the following link to check your coverage and proceed to book an appointment for any required hardware repair.

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Aug 17, 2018 8:38 AM in response to hatsune07

I have also the new Macbook Pro 2018 13" since 3 weeks and my notebook also crashed 4 times since then. The screen freezes and the trackpad isn't responding anymore. Only a hard reset with the fingerprint sensor button is helping with a reboot.

I was always on the firefox app while crashing and opened Mail, Firefox, Finder at the moment.

Is this a hardware problem or could be a software bug on the new macbooks? I also did some checks on startup but all was fine.

Aug 20, 2018 9:19 PM in response to raina_b22

Add me to the list of recent purchasers of 2018 13” MBP with freezing issues (4 in the last 2 days). Usually using Safari at the time. No heavy duty gaming or video editing. Only cold reboot gets me out of it. This can’t be sloughed offf as a quirk of one individual’s machine. These machines come at premium price and should not be freezing up within a few weeks of purchase!

Aug 31, 2018 2:30 AM in response to hatsune07

I have also experienced the same issue twice in two days, once right before the upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update 2, and once right after (this morning). I own a MBP13 2018 (bought two weeks ago).

In the first case I was just watching a "mkv" file on VLC; in the second case I was using Google Maps in Chrome. In both situations I had to turn off the laptop by keeping the power up/off button for 4 seconds.

I have a fairly new system with not so many applications installed (and in both situations I wasn't running anything in the background). My previous laptop (a 2011 Macbook Pro 15") was operating in a way heavier (and sustained) stress and never gave me a single issue.

Sep 3, 2018 3:00 PM in response to hatsune07

We have 2 new 2018 13" Macbook Pro with i7, 16 RAM and 1TB. The first was exchanged because it would go to sleep and not wake up. The second is randomly restarting. On top of which we have a 2014 13" MBP that stopped working after upgrading to High Sierra. We wiped it and reinstalled the operating system and it still crashes randomly. Remote diagnostics of no help. Apple Store no help. Waiting for extended diagnosis. I wish we could say that buying a new one would fix the problem, but the 2 new ones make me not want to purchase any more Apple products. I am hanging onto my 2014 15" MBP, still running Yosemite. After the i9 issue I will keep waiting. Seriously looking at Windows laptops where they don't act like you're crazy for wanting more RAM - and you don't need quite a much without having to run a VM. So pathetic and disappointing. And it's never their fault - they are never aware of an issue. Just upgrade and update the software, what could go wrong?

Sep 4, 2018 2:56 AM in response to hatsune07

I have the same issue too, my Macbook Pro 13" with Touchbar froze three times and I've just bought it ten days ago. First two times it freezed when I was watching an MKV file on VLC, so I changed from VLC to MPV and it didn't freeze for a few days. Then just today, it froze while I had FL Studio, Chrome and Spotify open.

My laptop is on the newest update and the only way to get out of the frozen screen is a cold reboot with the power button.

Do you guys think its a software issue or is it just an issue on the new Macbooks?

Sep 12, 2018 5:09 AM in response to hatsune07

I, too have the MacBook Pro 13" and have also been having intermittent freezes, sometimes multiple times per day. I am on a high level Tech support at this time and they seem to know there is a problem... just not what to do about it yet. My computer is 4 weeks old and is causing me much grief ! Problem appears quite a bit during iMail which also seems to have a lot of issues.... quitting unexpectedly, not recognizing addresses, freezing during writing. But the freeze can happen anytime. I have no peripherals attached and it doesn't seem to matter if I plug in a time machine backup or not. It also can not be reproduced for tech support as one never knows when or where it will happen.

This MacBook is a mess! I've been told by Tech support to wait for an update that is being rolled out soon. I'm hoping that the problems will be fixed.... if you are thinking about buying this computer, wait a bit until this is resolved!

macbook pro 13" 2018 random freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.