Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pitch Bend Issues

I've noticed in more recent versions of Logic Pro that there's an issue with automating pitch bend. Instead of smooth transitions between the notes it jitters or steps between them. It becomes even more pronounced as the pitch increases. Being an electronic musician who depends on things like risers and pitch bends to make music interesting, this has become quite a hassle. I've spoken with other Logic users who cannot replicate the problem, but it happens on both my 2015 MacBook Pro and 2013 iMac running High Sierra.

Logic Pro X 10.4.1

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4

Thoughts?

Logic Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 2:11 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Aug 16, 2018 3:56 PM in response to Pen_Expers

Pen_Expers, there is a more elegant way to achieve the sound effect you want. All you need to do is create another long note, but a few octaves higher (say, if the initial note is D2, place the other one at D5). In Massive, switch voicing to "Monophonic" and trigger to "Legato". Then set the Glide Time parameter to the highest value (see screenshots below). The result is a smooth pitch bend from D2 to D5 🙂

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 15, 2018 11:28 PM in response to Radarhus

It happens regardless of the plug-in. It feels like there's an issue with the midi data resolution, but I can't imagine what it would be. If it's a setting, why is it happening across clean installs across multiple machines?

Here's a link to a video of the issue using the ES2 Patch Euro Dance. The only thing I changed about the patch was increasing the pitch bend range +36:

Dropbox - Sweep_.mov

If you'd like me to upload a project I can do that as well!

Aug 16, 2018 12:03 PM in response to Pen_Expers

I see, that's a bummer. Since in the case of ES2 the steps become more pronounced as the PitchBend range is increased, I'd like to check if the same happens with other soft synths. Could you upload the Logic project for testing? I've got Massive, so you may just as well send the last one you made the most recent screen capture with.

Here's my project using Massive, where the steps are not as pronounced as in yours. In case the preset isn't saved in the project, I saved it separately (in the archive, together with the LPX project file).

Bend dat Pitch.zip - Google Drive

Aug 16, 2018 12:09 PM in response to Radarhus

I think, unfortunately, THIS is the answer:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90443

Logic doesn't allow you to draw 14 bit pitch data. It responds to 14 bit controllers, but doesn't draw it internally. This is a huge bummer. If you'd like to try the project for yourself, tho, here it is:

Dropbox - Pitch Bend.logicx - Simplify your life

Pitch Bend Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.