Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail not showing emails in Gmail Inbox

I have Apple Mail syncing to multiple Gmail accounts via SMTP for years, but after I came back from a 2-week vacation, all my emails in 1 of my email accounts' inbox folder disappeared in Apple Mail. After a couple of hours of trying to fix it I gave up, since new emails I got after I came back don't seem to be affected. Then yesterday, it happened again! All the emails that I left in the inbox, some flagged some unflagged, went poof! This is really frustrating since my inbox is basically my to-do/to-reply list, and now I have to go into Gmail just to double check that I haven't missed anything important.

This only happens to 1 of the 3 accounts I sync with Gmail via SMTP.

I've already tried the following:

1. Double-checking that I don't have the "unread" filter on
  2. Delete the account from internet accounts, then re-add it
  3. Clear spotlight indexing
  4. Delete EnvelopeIndex and ExternalUpdates from Mail's library

Anyone experienced something similar and fixed it? At this rate I'm gonna have to convert to the Gmail app even though I can't stand its UX =(

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 16, 2018 4:27 PM

3 replies

Aug 17, 2018 3:37 PM in response to jingidy

Hi there, jingidy.

I see that the emails you have in one of your Gmail accounts keeps disappearing. Great job on the troubleshooting you've used, and I'm happy to help.

Rebuild mailboxes -- Rebuild that account's mailbox.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and test how it responds. If there are no issues, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if its system wide. You'll need to add the email account in order to test.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Sep 10, 2018 1:04 PM in response to jingidy

It happened again, and some sleuthing told me it might have to do with iCloud, so I tried deleting the entire Internet Accounts account, restarting in safe mode (also deleting the account on my phone and restarting that too, although so far my phone account has been unaffected), deleting all caches that are clearly named for Mail, giving it a whole weekend in case iCloud needs time, and it's still happening.

So I guess it's time to search for a new mail app for mac =(

Apple Mail not showing emails in Gmail Inbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.