Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Wipe PowerBook G4

I am going into my old computers and wiping them to dispose of them. I went through the process hitting erase the most times it would allow. It took days and still didn't look wiped. So went and did the minimum asked to erase files and it only took one day. Then went in and did the longer one as well and this time it only took about 30 hours. Now I wanted to see if all the files are gone and I only get a flashing ? mark folder. Is everything gone now? I've gone on line to figure out how to reinstall the factory settings and did all the youtube tutorials on how to reboot and every time I still get the same folder. No options to reinstall.

I don't care to reinstall just want to discard all files on it. Thanks

Posted on Aug 19, 2018 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2018 5:56 AM

There's a fair chance the hard drive content (&/or its directory) has been scrambled

enough to keep most persons from reaching your file content.

Physically remove the hard drive, if you prefer; then donate the rest to vintage Mac

computer shop. ~ Better if unit could still work, - for re-use - rather than re-cycle.

Assorted ideas on kind removal of powerbook hard drive (easier than iBook HDD)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=powerbook+%22removal%22+hard+drive&norw=1&t=ffsb&ia=videos

Usually a separate 'boot capable' disk utility (on DVD, or external drive, etc) could be

used to fully erase the hard drive; something w/ startup, to run vintage PowerBook.

And then, if you believe that information may still be retrievable from the storage, the

hard disk drive may be removed (see iFixit guides or similar) for destructive recycling.

A local 'Mac User Group' may have some helpful persons, who can handle older macs.

Sometimes people will just volunteer to take-apart some old computer, for the fun of it.

As final salute to its usefulness, you could find garage mechanic with 'oxy-acetylene

torch' to have the part reduced to a molten puddle. {A buddy of mine down the road

w/ major metalwork skills + tools, could easily melt & recast HDD into a useful ingot.}

Have fun no matter the task. Pays to enjoy your efforts, perhaps just not monetarily.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2018 5:56 AM in response to stormyshoo

There's a fair chance the hard drive content (&/or its directory) has been scrambled

enough to keep most persons from reaching your file content.

Physically remove the hard drive, if you prefer; then donate the rest to vintage Mac

computer shop. ~ Better if unit could still work, - for re-use - rather than re-cycle.

Assorted ideas on kind removal of powerbook hard drive (easier than iBook HDD)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=powerbook+%22removal%22+hard+drive&norw=1&t=ffsb&ia=videos

Usually a separate 'boot capable' disk utility (on DVD, or external drive, etc) could be

used to fully erase the hard drive; something w/ startup, to run vintage PowerBook.

And then, if you believe that information may still be retrievable from the storage, the

hard disk drive may be removed (see iFixit guides or similar) for destructive recycling.

A local 'Mac User Group' may have some helpful persons, who can handle older macs.

Sometimes people will just volunteer to take-apart some old computer, for the fun of it.

As final salute to its usefulness, you could find garage mechanic with 'oxy-acetylene

torch' to have the part reduced to a molten puddle. {A buddy of mine down the road

w/ major metalwork skills + tools, could easily melt & recast HDD into a useful ingot.}

Have fun no matter the task. Pays to enjoy your efforts, perhaps just not monetarily.

User uploaded file

Aug 24, 2018 2:10 PM in response to stormyshoo

Depending on the fate of the Mac after you're done, the easiest method would be

to use the installer and have it overwrite the existing old OS X: to set it up for reuse.

{Start the PPC G4 Mac with installer DVD in slot, while holding down C key. Run

Disk utility from Installer Menu bar, you can eject DVD without new install or just

install basic system and quit installer without personalizing what's installed.}

Erase and Install Method for OS X 10.5 Leopard - Lifewire

Installing OS X 10.5 Leopard using the Erase and Install method gives ... Mac OS X

window opens, click ... drive is up to snuff before you install your new Leopard OS

User uploaded filehttps://www.lifewire.com/installing-os-x-10-5-leopard-erase-method

A new system (or disk utility, erase via overwrite) in systems where that option exists

takes much less time. 'One pass erase' takes less than four hours in most HDDs.

Or install a new admin user and use that to erase older user content. Leave no info

of your personal identity on the computer. Not a big deal.

Maybe due to decades of Mac use, I fail to see a problem & instead see only answers.

User uploaded file

Aug 24, 2018 2:14 PM in response to stormyshoo

Thanks, I did what you said and it still comes up a white screen with a welcome to open firmware and to continue rebooting type mac-boot which I did and it goes to the tiny folder with a ? mark. I've done everything and I can't reinstall to new. Which I don't care to really but did want to see if my work folders are erased.

I ran wipe twice then this happens now. So does that mean its all gone?

File Wipe PowerBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.