Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD compatible with mid 2010 Macbook Pro

My Macbook Pro mid 2010 model is on its last leg in terms of its hard drive... it's clicking all the time. So I'm looking to upgrade to a SSD. I've upgraded my RAM a couple years back and its already an 8GB RAM. I'm looking at these 2 SSD, but wasn't sure which is compatible.

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-75E250B/AM)

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SATA Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-76E250B/AM)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 10:46 AM

tdotfan wrote:

My Macbook Pro mid 2010 model is on its last leg in terms of its hard drive... it's clicking all the time. So I'm looking to upgrade to a SSD. I've upgraded my RAM a couple years back and its already an 8GB RAM. I'm looking at these 2 SSD, but wasn't sure which is compatible.

Thank you!

They both look compatible, one is the older version: https://techpro.life/ssd-comparison-samsung-860-evo-vs-850-evo/

Look at some options here: SSDs (Solid-State Drives) Designed for the Mac from OWC

The 2010 MBP only has SATA II which only means it has speed limitations that won't allow it reach the speeds of the SATA III SSD.

therefore 3G might be a more cost effective compared to a 6G SSD.

Always recommeded to install a new SATA cable at the same time.

OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For MacBook Pro 2010

MacSales/OWC has excellent customer support, you can ask them.

Some upgrading info: How to create a boot clone

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2018 10:46 AM in response to tdotfan

tdotfan wrote:

Thank you!

They both look compatible, one is the older version: https://techpro.life/ssd-comparison-samsung-860-evo-vs-850-evo/

Look at some options here: SSDs (Solid-State Drives) Designed for the Mac from OWC

The 2010 MBP only has SATA II which only means it has speed limitations that won't allow it reach the speeds of the SATA III SSD.

therefore 3G might be a more cost effective compared to a 6G SSD.

Always recommeded to install a new SATA cable at the same time.

OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For MacBook Pro 2010

MacSales/OWC has excellent customer support, you can ask them.

Some upgrading info: How to create a boot clone

Aug 21, 2018 11:20 AM in response to tdotfan

tdotfan wrote:

Is the SATA cable not come with the SSD? Do you have suggestion on brand and name of a reliable SATA cable?

MacSale/OWC is a tried & true trusted vendor of all things Mac specific. Excellent customer service, compatibility and guarantee. They are often ahead of the curve.

I have never seen a SSD that comes with a SATA cable, it is a different piece of hardware, the expense in nominal.

As recommended MacSale/OWC can help you with compatibility of SATA cable part # for 2010

Apple 821-1480 Hard Drive / SSD Cable For 13-inch... at MacSales.com

There is a chat, support link follow through with that.

SSD compatible with mid 2010 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.