Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tag icon at upper right of imported photos

In Photos 3.0, I imported 14 photos from a new camera. I named all the faces in the photos. I exported those photos in order to reduce their resolution and save disk space (each photo went from 9MB to 2MB, JPEG medium). I deleted the original large photos and imported the smaller photos. Each imported photo now shows a small "tag" icon at the upper right corner. When I click on that icon, it shows a list of names of the faces in the photo. When I double-click on a photo, the photo fills the window, and shows "unnamed" under each face. I don't understand what is happening. Why does each photo show the tag icon at the upper right? If right-clicking on that tag icon shows the names of all the faces, why don't those names show under each face when I double-click on the photo? I re-assign manually the name for each face. How do I get that tag icon to disappear? I can't find documentation anywhere on this feature (the tag icon in the upper-right corner of each photo).

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 10:21 PM

The tag icon at the upper right of a photo thumbnail indicates that one or more keywords have been assigned to the photo. Clicking on the tag displays the keyword(s).

When you exported and deleted the photos, you lost the connection to the face identification database. When you re-imported the photos, Photos had to start over finding the faces and then matching them to the People database.

I cannot at the moment explain how your photos wound up with keywords that happen to match face names. Some users recommend setting keywords that way to guard against loss of information should the face id database be lost or corrupted, bu I don't think Photos will do that for you unbidden.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2018 10:21 PM in response to kbw3

The tag icon at the upper right of a photo thumbnail indicates that one or more keywords have been assigned to the photo. Clicking on the tag displays the keyword(s).

When you exported and deleted the photos, you lost the connection to the face identification database. When you re-imported the photos, Photos had to start over finding the faces and then matching them to the People database.

I cannot at the moment explain how your photos wound up with keywords that happen to match face names. Some users recommend setting keywords that way to guard against loss of information should the face id database be lost or corrupted, bu I don't think Photos will do that for you unbidden.

Aug 22, 2018 12:50 AM in response to kbw3

Mark already explained, what has been happening.

Just a add-on about how keywords are handled on export.

The tag looking like a baggage label will show you the keywords, if a photo has keywords assigned.

When you export the edited version of a photo with a named face assigned, the name of the person will be saved as a keyword in the IPTC tags of the exported file, if you enable the Export option "Include: Title, keypads, and description". When you reimport the photo to Photos, the keywords will be automatically assigned. if you export photos with keywords, be sure that there are no typos in the keywords, or the typos will forever be burned in, because they are embedded in the image files.

User uploaded file

The faces names will also be saved as keywords, if you export originals with an XMP sidecar file.

Aug 22, 2018 1:46 PM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

When you export the edited version of a photo with a named face assigned, the name of the person will be saved as a keyword in the IPTC tags of the exported file, if you enable the Export option "Include: Title, keypads, and description". When you reimport the photo to Photos, the keywords will be automatically assigned. if you export photos with keywords, be sure that there are no typos in the keywords, or the typos will forever be burned in, because they are embedded in the image files.

The faces names will also be saved as keywords, if you export originals with an XMP sidecar file.

Thanks for the reminder, léonie. I don’t export and reimport frequently enough to remember that exports assigns face names as keywords (if keyword export is enabled).

Tag icon at upper right of imported photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.