Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Tempo: Tempo Editor won't edit Tempo Track

I recorded a super-rubato improv session in 3/4 with a bandmate on MIDI keys. I bounced the MIDI part to audio, and am using Smart Tempo and the Tempo Editor to manually input barlines (and therefore tempo changes) throughout the piece. It changes tempo rapidly enough that Smart Tempo doesn't detect it, so I have to do this manually.

Here's the issue. When I select "Adapt Project Tempo and All Regions to Region Tempo and Downbeat" with "Maintain Time Position of All Regions" toggled on, while I expect the tempo track to adjust itself to be in accordance with the manually adjusted tracks in the tempo editor... nothing happens. The project reverts itself to 4/4, and stays at 120bpm. What am I doing wrong?

Here's a video summary of my issue

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Scarlett 6i6 PreAmp

Posted on Aug 22, 2018 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2018 5:49 AM

Matthew, as I understand Smart Tempo functionality, it uses the tempo and time signature information saved with the audio file. If you haven't saved the project (and thus, the new tempo and time signature information to the region you just edited) before using the function, it applies the existing tempo / time signature information of the audio file associated with the region. Which would be 120 bpm and 4/4 time signature, in this case.

So, for Smart Tempo to work, save the project first in order to save the tempo and time signature with the audio file you created and edited in File Tempo Editor. After that choose the Adapt Project Tempo mode (your project's mode is set to Auto) in the LCD display (see screenshot). Then right-click on the region in Tracks area and select Tempo > Adapt Project Tempo and All Regions to Region Tempo and Downbeat. Hope it helps.

User uploaded file

You might also want to explore Beat Mapping, as a way to adjust Project tempo to parts recorded rubato. More on Beat Mapping here: https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4/#/lgcp624214db

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2018 5:49 AM in response to Matthew_Billman

Matthew, as I understand Smart Tempo functionality, it uses the tempo and time signature information saved with the audio file. If you haven't saved the project (and thus, the new tempo and time signature information to the region you just edited) before using the function, it applies the existing tempo / time signature information of the audio file associated with the region. Which would be 120 bpm and 4/4 time signature, in this case.

So, for Smart Tempo to work, save the project first in order to save the tempo and time signature with the audio file you created and edited in File Tempo Editor. After that choose the Adapt Project Tempo mode (your project's mode is set to Auto) in the LCD display (see screenshot). Then right-click on the region in Tracks area and select Tempo > Adapt Project Tempo and All Regions to Region Tempo and Downbeat. Hope it helps.

User uploaded file

You might also want to explore Beat Mapping, as a way to adjust Project tempo to parts recorded rubato. More on Beat Mapping here: https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4/#/lgcp624214db

Smart Tempo: Tempo Editor won't edit Tempo Track

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.