Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud won't let me sign in

I noticed Notes and Photos were not syncing. I logged out, restarted with no change. All photos and notes were syncing between my iPhone and another MacBook Pro I have with no issue. I logged out of iCloud from system preferences and now I am unable to log back in. I click 'next' which allows me to input my password, once I do that it sends me back to the previous screen. My password is not incorrect, I purposely put in a wrong password and received an error message. I also reset my password from the window and still, the same problem persists. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Posted on Aug 23, 2018 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2018 8:18 AM

Thank you, but the problem I am having is that I have already logged out and cannot log back in. I can only access this screen.

User uploaded file

So, I click 'Next' then the password field appears then the loading icon appears next to the email address and it reverts right back to this screen. Perhaps I missed something is there a way to completely remove iCloud and all information somewhere? Thanks.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2018 8:18 AM in response to tygb

Thank you, but the problem I am having is that I have already logged out and cannot log back in. I can only access this screen.

User uploaded file

So, I click 'Next' then the password field appears then the loading icon appears next to the email address and it reverts right back to this screen. Perhaps I missed something is there a way to completely remove iCloud and all information somewhere? Thanks.

Aug 24, 2018 3:12 AM in response to Absolute710

When you opened system preferences > iCloud click on sign out , these are the upcoming steps to sign out completely and then again set up the iCloud account and also configure the iCloud Keychain .

( a ) Open system preferences > click on iCloud and click on sign out , you can see a window stating do you want to keep a copy of your iCloud data on this Mac before signing out ? The boxes iCloud Drive , contacts , calendars , reminders are checked by default - so click on keep a copy .

( b ) Then uncheck the boxes of iCloud Drive , contacts , calendars , reminders and click on continue .

a pop window will appear . Do you want to keep a copy of safari passwords on this Mac ?

( 1 ) Delete from Mac ( 2 ) cancel ( 3 ) keep on Mac .So click on delete from Mac .

( c ) It will prompt enter the Apple ID password for mail address to turn off find my Mac , so enter your Apple ID password and click on continue , a small circle will rotate , be patient .

( d ) After some time a window will appear showing iCloud lets you access your music , photos , contacts , calendars and more on your devices , automatically , your Apple ID would be written in the field , click on next .

( e) It will prompt to enter your apple id password , so enter the password and click on next a small circle will rotate .

( f ) After some time a window will appear ( 1 ) use iCloud for your documents and data ( 2 ) use find my Mac , the two boxes are checked , two options will be shown back and next , so click on next .

A small window will appear allow find my Mac and use the location of this Mac ? Two options will be shown not now and allow , so click on allow .

Again a pop up window will appear , enter your Apple ID and password and click on ok , a spinning beach ball will appear , be patient .

( g ) In system preferences > iCloud the keychain box will get unchecked , so tap the keychain box a pop up window will appear to set up iCloud Keychain on this Mac , request approval from one of your other devices using iCloud Keychain .

( h ) Three options will be shown ( 1 ) use code ( 2 ) cancel ( 3 ) request approval .

So click on use code , wait for a while then in the empty field enter your iCloud security code and click on next , it will show keychain is setting up after a while the box of keychain will get checked and you can also see options in front of it , you can also check the box of Siri .

( I ) Open system preferences > iCloud Drive ( the box is checked ) and click on options > check the box of desktop and documents folder - it will show setting up and click on done .

( j ) Again open finder > click on iCloud Drive > you will see documents ( they will appear after hours as it depends upon the data that was saved in iCloud Drive , network speed is also the factor to download all of them , click on download icon infront of them ( if the documents are created with Microsoft office , a pie chart will rotate and fill up .

User uploaded file

You also wrote that put up a wrong Apple ID password intentionally an error will show up .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

You have to set up the iCloud drive ( check the box of iCloud drive ) , in front of it options button is shown , click on it and check the box of desktops and documents and click on done , quit system preferences .

Also , how did you reset the Apple ID password in the window please post a screen shot of it ( hide your mail address / any trusted device number before posting ) .

Aug 24, 2018 9:15 AM in response to Absolute710

It means that your are entering the password correctly as you wrote but it is reverting back , click on forgot Apple ID and password .

User uploaded file

you can see the same steps will occur that are written in this article If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Note : you must have a rescue mail address added when the Apple ID was created , also the correct date of birth . when a link will go to to the rescue mail address , open a new tab ( use command and T keys ) then open your web mail account could be gmail or yahoo whatever you are using , sign in with the id and password , in the inbox , you will see the link reset password , just click on it enter new password in the fields and click on reset password .

User uploaded file

Aug 25, 2018 7:57 AM in response to Absolute710

After the point -

( b ) Then uncheck the boxes of iCloud Drive , contacts , calendars , reminders and click on continue .

a pop window appears

User uploaded file

You must click on keep a copy then immediately click on continue with sign out , and don't click on cancel if you do click on cancel the whole process of signing out from the iCloud account will not be performed and error will be shown verification failed and Apple ID or password is incorrect .

In fact , you are having correct apple id and password see this screen shot .

User uploaded file

Aug 24, 2018 11:46 AM in response to Absolute710

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit System Preferences.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

If necessary contact iCloud Support. You may have to try twice.

iCloud Support

Aug 24, 2018 11:53 AM in response to Absolute710

Why it is not working , I have tried this method again in Mac , either you have to delete the icloud keychain and its reference files ( by opening keychain access through spotlight ) , also the important things are iCloud Keychain verification code , all Apple ID , iCloud id , web mail id and respective passwords , air port base station password ( in case if it is configured ) in your records .

Consult senior advisors in apple support see this link Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

iCloud won't let me sign in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.