Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications are swapped to other screen/desktop after wake

I cannot figure out why when my 2016 Macbook Pro swaps my applications from left and right screens when it is woken up. Just as described in this locked thread LCD screen arrangement changes after wake from sleep/screenlock

Here is my screen layout: [monitor 1, desktop2][Macbook Pro screen][monitor 3, desktop 3]

Nothing is changed other than my applications are swapped between desktop 2 and 3. This is so frustrating!

I'm using two LG - 27" IPS LED 4K UHD FreeSync Monitor - Model:27UD68

StarTech USB-C to DisplayPort adapters amzn.to/2LrkVIa

Is anyone else dealing with these issues?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Aug 25, 2018 4:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2018 4:25 PM

I would have suspected NVRAM/PRAM reset however

You can Try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964 —this dumps many core hardware settings and power functions.

1 Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

2 After your Mac shuts down, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.

3 If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.

4 Release all keys.

5 Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2018 4:25 PM in response to BeScientifik

I would have suspected NVRAM/PRAM reset however

You can Try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964 —this dumps many core hardware settings and power functions.

1 Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

2 After your Mac shuts down, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.

3 If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.

4 Release all keys.

5 Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Aug 28, 2018 2:34 PM in response to BeScientifik

BeScientifik wrote:

Hey LeroyDouglas! Thanks for writing. The NVRAM reset solution sounds as if it would be specific to one instance of the issue. Won't the issue continue to happen when the MBP sleeps/wakes again in the future after the reset?

I'm also not keen of resetting NVRAM if I dont have to. Is this the only solution?

No, the idea is it resolves the issue—with no further intervention.

It is a painless process. You will not know until you try it. This is your first step. Please post your success or failure.

Applications are swapped to other screen/desktop after wake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.