Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes displays wrong iPhoto album data for sync to iOS despite deleting iPod Photo Caches

My iOS photo syncing is screwed up again. iTunes shows the wrong photo counts for the iPhoto albums I wish to sync--for example, one has 400+ images in iPhoto, but iTunes shows the count for that album as 6, and only syncs those 6 images to the phone. Other albums counts & sync are correct.

I have deleted the iPod Photo Cache from the iTunes library package; repaired the iPhoto library database; but had to give up on rebuilding the iPhoto library because 'Recover Faces' either hung or just was taking way too long, and I replaced the library with a backup, and am stuck in the same place again.

Where else to go to find/fix this problem? Is there another cache in the phone or iTunes or iPhoto database that can be identified and purged?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 26, 2018 11:07 AM

Similar questions

16 replies

Aug 27, 2018 11:46 AM in response to Donot Haveone

I started to get bolder, and deleted a LOT of stuff from the pkg and restarted iPhoto, to see if any of that would work, after deleting one thing here and one thing there didn't do it. Going from this:

User uploaded file

and after restart & some rebuilding of thumbnails etc, to this:

User uploaded file

iTunes is still offering to sync only 7440 images from this 14,943 image library. It's close but not quite as though it was showing only offering ever other image--most of the 'missing' images are from more recent dates. One album of images from 2013-2015, which includes >3,000 images, only transfers one to the phone, a single Nikon raw file (.NEF format). Only 18 of >2,000 in 2016-18 are transfered, and these include .jpg phone images; NEF files; and the more usual cropped, processed, edited jpgs of various sizes, files from the Nikon as well as my phone. So it's not a case of only NEFs or only iPhone IMGs or other untouched-by-photoshop files being 'seen' by iTunes.

Aug 26, 2018 11:48 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

I have deleted the iPod Photo Cache from the iTunes library package;

Do you mean you deleted the photo cache folder from the iPhoto Library Package as described here?

About Photo Cache folders - Apple Support

Yes, those are the caches I've deleted.

léonie wrote:

Do you have more than one iPhoto Library? iTunes may be syncing with the wrong iPhoto Library.

Yes, I have about two dozen working libraries on this mac, and dozens or hundreds more on backup drives (that are currently attached or synced here, just connected from time to time to refresh & retire current libraries to backup status).

The library I'm using for sync is called Desktop Wallpaper and I make sure that it is the current library before opening iTunes to be sure it is used for sync. This is always the procedure I use to make sure it uses the right library. In fact, to clear all the wrongly synced albums/photos out, I always sync several times to a 3-photo test library to make sure the phone is not hanging onto old photos and trying to restore them instead of going with the original library but totally fresh.

The library as I see it in Tunes has the correct album listing re: titles, but not the correct photos per album.

Aug 30, 2018 11:30 AM in response to Donot Haveone

Additional troubleshooting steps that have not helped:

•restoring a version of the library dating back to a year ago, when sync issues were perfectly fine

•creating a new, empty iTunes library & trying sync from there (showed same photo numbers available)

•creating a test user account (could not get permissions to properly let us access the iPhoto library that belongs to MyUserID

•switching to different iPhoto libraries on this same computer (all my libraries, I have about 2 dozen on this machine)--similar errors but some with differing proportions of images missing from those recognized/sync-available via iTunes

Photos missing from iTunes version of the albums are mostly but not exclusively created after 2012; but my usual photo processing workflow has been the same since 2007 (95% of images on Nikon camera, photoshopped from .NEF files to .jpgs customized to size of this laptop screen in Photoshop, only then are images imported into the relevant iPhoto library for use in this screensaver/desktop/sync library).

This library is NOT synced to any cloud services (e.g., these are not images also stored and linked to Flickr, SmugMug, etc although I do put images there, they are other versions of the images uploaded from other libraries).

All syncs are hardwired, no iCloud or wi-fi sync used (or permissible due to security concerns for work)

Problem predates update from El Capitan to High Sierra (problem noticed in June, possibly in April as well but cannot recall for sure; El Cap to High Sierra update done end July or early August

Aug 30, 2018 8:26 PM in response to Donot Haveone

Another step that may clarify further:

I connected the phone to a laptop that was set up as a carbon copy clone of the primary computer a year ago, and that only shows half of the images in iPhoto as available to sync. Perhaps iOS is the culprit, because various combinations of one phone and two laptops, updated or reloaded Mac OS, multiple iPhoto libraries and versions of the same library, and multiple iTunes libraries (primary plus a test library created in the same user directory) are giving similar errors?

Aug 31, 2018 8:02 PM in response to Donot Haveone

More troubleshooting because I can't help myself:

Copied library, opened with Photos, after I told it to use this library as 'system library', iTunes sync via Photos of the same library showed all 14,000+ images available for Sync. But: using Photos on this library is truly surreal. I can scroll through the whole album and there are huge patches of blank space with an image surrounded by blank space....is Photos trying to 'display' every image that was once part of the library and has since been deleted?

Those blank spaces, BTW, are the most common in the earlier images, NOT the newer images that are least likely to show as available to be copied when I tell iTunes to go through iPhoto.

Sep 1, 2018 4:43 PM in response to Donot Haveone

Rebuilding the library via iPhoto Library Manager (which essentially copies all content to a new library, consolidating both referenced and managed images all to a single managed library structure) resulted in iTunes offering a 14,000+ images to sync.....but only 4900 arrived on the phone, split seemingly randomly between older and newer, referenced and managed photos--the both older and newer smart albums sorted by date are lacking lots of images. And the album sort was comprehensively messed up.

So the 3rd party software & change from mixed reference (most) and managed (few) to all managed did not help.

Sep 17, 2018 4:45 PM in response to Donot Haveone

Finally from the Apple Engineers, after we captured a sync session log and returned it to Apple: they are aware of the problem, and reported that it will be fixed in a software update.

That suggests to me that the problem must be in the current version of iTunes, because iPhoto won't be updated anymore....and it was happening with two different OS X versions (predated update from El Cap to High Sierra), two iOS devices on two versions of iOS (both updated as much as possible), so maybe it was an iTunes update that messed me up?

iTunes displays wrong iPhoto album data for sync to iOS despite deleting iPod Photo Caches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.