Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert from 4k to 1080p

Hi.

I am editing some classes for Youtube / Skillshare right now and got a question.

We filmed and edited everything in 4k and the video resolution is 4096 × 2160. But Skillshare, for example, requires 1920x1080 and aspect ratio should be 16:9.

If I export 4096 × 2160 as a HD video I get black bars since it is not 16:9.

The question is what is the correct way to export it as 16:9?

As I understand I have to copy the project, then change the format / resolution and then crop the video?

Did I miss anything or there is any better way to do that?

Thank you.

Final Cut Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 27, 2018 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2018 9:18 AM

If you don't need the 4K project, you can just change it to 1080p.

Select the project in the browser, open the Inspector and click on Modify.

If you want to keep both versions, make a new 1080p project, go to the 4K project, select all, copy, and paste into the 1080p project. (Alternatively, duplicate the project and Modify the copy).

In either case, you will have to deal with the different aspect ratio.

By default, a 4096x2160 clip in a 1080 project will show black bars. You will have to go to the inspector, in the video tab, and change Spatial Conform to "Fill".

You can do this for many clips at once, there is no need to do it one by one.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2018 9:18 AM in response to Pro100Bear

If you don't need the 4K project, you can just change it to 1080p.

Select the project in the browser, open the Inspector and click on Modify.

If you want to keep both versions, make a new 1080p project, go to the 4K project, select all, copy, and paste into the 1080p project. (Alternatively, duplicate the project and Modify the copy).

In either case, you will have to deal with the different aspect ratio.

By default, a 4096x2160 clip in a 1080 project will show black bars. You will have to go to the inspector, in the video tab, and change Spatial Conform to "Fill".

You can do this for many clips at once, there is no need to do it one by one.

Convert from 4k to 1080p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.