Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

As the previous poster wrote the CD drive just doesn't perform

The problem I'm experiencing is with my CD drive on my Mac Mini. I'm wondering if it's kaput. Whenever I put a CD in the drive it just spins and the whole system will lock up eventually. At first it was mostly that I was trying to rip a CD. But eventually I would have to stop the operation because it just doesn't do anything. Was wondering if there was any document cases of this person what's a normal fix for it.

I'm wondering at this point is if I should consider getting a cleaning kit. Not sure if those do anything.

Mac mini, Sierra 10.13.6

Posted on Aug 28, 2018 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2018 8:05 AM

T-bone,

Spinning disk drives do wear out after a while. That's probably what's happened here. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a cleaning kit, other than the expense involved — but honestly I wouldn't be too hopeful about that.

It also wouldn't hurt to test the media (the actual CDs) in another machine, to make sure the problem isn't with faulty disks.

I don't know how much a repair/replacement would cost (assuming you're not still covered by AppleCare or something), but a separate external drive isn't terribly expensive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2018 8:05 AM in response to t-tone

T-bone,

Spinning disk drives do wear out after a while. That's probably what's happened here. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a cleaning kit, other than the expense involved — but honestly I wouldn't be too hopeful about that.

It also wouldn't hurt to test the media (the actual CDs) in another machine, to make sure the problem isn't with faulty disks.

I don't know how much a repair/replacement would cost (assuming you're not still covered by AppleCare or something), but a separate external drive isn't terribly expensive.

Aug 28, 2018 11:08 AM in response to t-tone

T-bone,

I'm sorry — I don't know from Adam about video interfaces. There's a Mac mini forum where you might look for help: Mac mini

Combining music libraries can be a time-consuming experience. But it's satisfying to finally get everything organized the way you want it. Here's a couple of resources that might be helpful:

Locate and organize your iTunes media files - Apple Support

Make a split library portable

Good luck with this project!

Aug 28, 2018 8:05 AM in response to richard grant

Thanks for the info. Couple years ago I started putting all my music onto my Mac but I had a ton already on my PC. Basically the music on the PC wasn't getting Iphoned. Guess I'll be ripping music back on my pC I need to come up with a happy solution for combining libraries.

While I've got you, I was wondering if you knew anything about the mac minis Mini DisplayPort adapter. I purchased the adapter to run a vGA monitor a number of years ago. Then I read something about an issue that the max were having with displaying on that and of course mine went out about the same time. Can you show me I've tried to hook it up again and it of course doesn't work.

Would you know if that problem was ever corrected or possibly I have an issue with my adapter which I have no way of knowing how to test aside from buying a new one. thx

As the previous poster wrote the CD drive just doesn't perform

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.