Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my windows/tabs to stay up, the re-open upon the sleeping and login process?

I am having trouble with my windows/tabs closing every time my computer goes to sleep. It is very frustrating, as I have read many forums and questions and don't seem to have a solid solution.

For example, I can be working on 6 different things at a time and have multiple windows open. When I leave work for the day, I want to only put my computer to sleep and not close my windows (so I don't lose track of where I left off). Yet every time my computer goes to sleep, upon logging in the next morning, all my windows and tabs are gone/closed, which proves to be inefficient and forces me try to remember where I last left off.

Can someone please help? 🙂

iMac, iOS Sierra 10.12.6

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 8:26 AM

It sounds like your Mac is set to automatically log you out after a period of inactivity.

>System Preferences>Security & Privacy make some changes here

whereas what you want is to just require a password when waking (but remain logged in the whole time so none of your apps quit).

Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Advanced... (you might need to click the Lock icon in the bottom left to enable this button). Make sure you have "Log out after X minutes of inactivity" disabled. Then you can enable "require password [immediately] after sleep or screen saver begins."

User uploaded file

macOS Sierra / High Sierra: Require a password after waking your Mac

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2018 8:26 AM in response to rachelann0930

It sounds like your Mac is set to automatically log you out after a period of inactivity.

>System Preferences>Security & Privacy make some changes here

whereas what you want is to just require a password when waking (but remain logged in the whole time so none of your apps quit).

Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Advanced... (you might need to click the Lock icon in the bottom left to enable this button). Make sure you have "Log out after X minutes of inactivity" disabled. Then you can enable "require password [immediately] after sleep or screen saver begins."

User uploaded file

macOS Sierra / High Sierra: Require a password after waking your Mac

Aug 30, 2018 7:37 AM in response to rachelann0930

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

How do I get my windows/tabs to stay up, the re-open upon the sleeping and login process?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.