Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I pair the remote app to Apple TV box?

When I try to pair the remote app to my gen 2 box, the pairing code comes up on my phone and not the tv as I have read it should. I don’t have the actual remote so my phone is the only option. I have restored the box and set it back up using my phone but it still won’t pair. It also doesn’t find my Apple TV through control centre either and I don’t have a Bluetooth keyboard.

Posted on Aug 31, 2018 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2018 6:29 PM

The older Apple TV models (2nd or 3rd generation) will need a physical remote to complete the setup of the Apple TV Remote app on the iPhone.

(There is an option with CiderTV app on Mac. You may need to restore the Apple TV to factory settings before it allows the mac to connect without using a remote, as you can’t navigate the menu yet.)

It also doesn’t find my Apple TV through control centre either

The Apple TV Remote in Control Center works only with Apple TV 4K and Apple TV (4th generation). [1]

and I don’t have a Bluetooth keyboard.

You may have to buy or borrow a remote.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2018 6:29 PM in response to willfromtoowoomba

The older Apple TV models (2nd or 3rd generation) will need a physical remote to complete the setup of the Apple TV Remote app on the iPhone.

(There is an option with CiderTV app on Mac. You may need to restore the Apple TV to factory settings before it allows the mac to connect without using a remote, as you can’t navigate the menu yet.)

It also doesn’t find my Apple TV through control centre either

The Apple TV Remote in Control Center works only with Apple TV 4K and Apple TV (4th generation). [1]

and I don’t have a Bluetooth keyboard.

You may have to buy or borrow a remote.

How do I pair the remote app to Apple TV box?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.