Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp Assistant

I have a fresh install of High Sierra and I'm trying to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp Assistant but I get the error "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition." The HDD is partitioned correctly to a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and this is literally the first thing I'm trying to do. No other software has been installed and all the updates are complete

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh 498.6 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s4

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), 21.5 inch, Early 2013

Posted on Aug 31, 2018 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2018 10:28 AM

RHS-Tech wrote:

I am not sure how it happened but I'm told it shouldn't cause an issue. I tried to delete one but couldn't get it to go away. If its not causing a problem then I'm not that worried about it. I really need to nail down this Boot Camp issue.

The two Recovery HDs do cause an issue. One option is to erase the the entire disk and re-install High Sierra again. This is the cleanest option. We do not know which of the two is the correct Recovery HD.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2018 10:28 AM in response to RHS-Tech

RHS-Tech wrote:

I am not sure how it happened but I'm told it shouldn't cause an issue. I tried to delete one but couldn't get it to go away. If its not causing a problem then I'm not that worried about it. I really need to nail down this Boot Camp issue.

The two Recovery HDs do cause an issue. One option is to erase the the entire disk and re-install High Sierra again. This is the cleanest option. We do not know which of the two is the correct Recovery HD.

Sep 4, 2018 12:48 PM in response to Loner T

The Mac used to have El Capitan but it was having issues and we wanted to go to High Sierra. Not wanting any issues, I installed OS X over an internet connection to wipe out the old OS and start fresh. I had set aside some space for the Windows OS but got the same error I have now. I thought I was getting the error because I had left some space for the Windows OS so I repeated the process except I didn't leave any extra space and figured I could create a partition with Boot Camp Assistant. When the reinstall finished I had 2 recovery HDs. I figured if I got a different error then before then the extra Recovery could be a problem but I'm still getting "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition."

Thank you for the reply.

Sep 6, 2018 2:58 PM in response to Loner T

I erased the drive but the 2nd Recovery HD was still there so I erased it to "exFAT" and then back to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and the 2nd Recovery HD was gone. When I launched Boot Camp Assistant, all three boxes were available and I was able to continue without an error...so far. Thank you! I will let you know if anything else comes up

Sep 7, 2018 1:33 PM in response to Loner T

So I copied the ISO to the desktop and was able to get all the drivers installed on a USB but when it reboots to install Win 10 I get a gray screen. It when I came in this morning the screen was still gray. My understanding is that its supposed to reboot and look like a standard Win 10 install. From what I've read/watched I shouldn't need to put the ISO on a Flash drive

Trying to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.