Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to wireless triggers error message on apple.com

This just started happening. When I startup, log in, I see what looks like a browser window with the header title "Join "FiOS-GDJFBHE" (my router), and the page content is Apple's "The page you're looking for can't be found", and the URL is gibberish, and always different, like, "https://www.apple.com/sdfgsdg/sdfgzdfgderfaes/wwihgisn.html".

This also happens if I turn off wireless networking, then turn it back on. What is this thing? If I click "Cancel" at the bottom, the network seems to work fine, but, until I click "Cancel" to get rid of the window, there is no network.

No system changes. Everything has been running fine for years without incident. MacOS 10.10.5, Yosemite.

???

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Sep 1, 2018 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 7:24 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, but here's what solved it, I think.

I had downloaded a logo file to my desktop, I was working with it in a project. It occurred to me that all this trouble started at about the same time I grabbed that png file. So, I deleted it (secure empty trash). The pop-up issue stopped immediately. No pop-ups, no wireless issues, no nothing... just perfect, smooth functioning.

So, I assume there was something in that file? Maybe I should invest in a malware scanner in case it left anything behind.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2018 7:24 AM in response to allan299

Thanks for all the suggestions, but here's what solved it, I think.

I had downloaded a logo file to my desktop, I was working with it in a project. It occurred to me that all this trouble started at about the same time I grabbed that png file. So, I deleted it (secure empty trash). The pop-up issue stopped immediately. No pop-ups, no wireless issues, no nothing... just perfect, smooth functioning.

So, I assume there was something in that file? Maybe I should invest in a malware scanner in case it left anything behind.

Sep 1, 2018 9:49 AM in response to webdaveb

What does Wireless Diagnostics show?

Wireless Diagnostics

Wi-FI connection drops

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (2)

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (3)

WiFi Potential Temporary fix - Yosemite

Also try turning off Bluetooth.

If your Wi-Fi source is capable of generating a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network, try that to help avoid conflicts with Bluetooth.

Sep 9, 2018 7:27 PM in response to allan299

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. Please post if this worked or not.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. Please post if this worked or not.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

Sep 9, 2018 7:01 PM in response to Eric Root

These articles are so complicated.

My husband is on the same modem and does not have this issue happening, does

that indicate something of interest in the troubleshooting of this annoying but

livable issue?

By the look of the posting of the window that pops up is it a scam, interference

from the outside, or just an annoyance with the modem's operation?

In my case this window appears before I open any application, just on entering

after putting in my password.

I'm going to try the plugging/unplugging of cables into the modem.

Sep 11, 2018 6:26 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric, tried some of suggestions in articles linked to - customizing Wifi ones but the ones I tried did not make any difference, except that the 'Join Network at top of popup' was changed to "Presto" and the pop up happened more often and not only after log in but also when I put Mac to sleep while using internet on Safari. Removed those changes and set back to 'automatic' at Advanced choices on SysPref> Network. Safe Mode too complicated for me (and too risky without backup) -- may need someone (perhaps email provider ) to help with this -- or to face my level of (in)competence and go to an Apple Store and have the Time Machine activated and the popup issue looked at.

But here is the Etre Report for this computer now, with the pop up still happening after log in.

P.S. Adblock Plus did do an update which changed some of the System Preferences>Security making them stricter: but problem was happening before that automatic update.) I am updated on software as much as is available for 10.10.5

................................................................................ ..

EtreCheck version: 4.0.4 (4A150)

Report generated: 2018-09-10 18:06:31

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 1:45

Performance: Excellent

Problem: Other problem

Description:

pop up window

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

Old operating system - Old operating system versions no longer receive security updates.

Minor Issues: None

Hardware Information:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

MacBook Air Model: MacBookAir6,2

1 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-4250U) CPU: 2-core

4 RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 ok

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 392

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 5000 - VRAM: 1536 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

Drives:

disk0 - APPLE SSD SD0128F 121.33 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

Internal PCI 5.0 GT/s x2 Serial ATA

disk0s1 - EFI [EFI] 210 MB

disk0s2 - Macintosh HD [Core Storage Container] 120.47 GB

disk1 - Macintosh HD (Journaled HFS+) 120.10 GB

disk0s3 - Recovery HD [Recovery] 650 MB

Mounted Volumes:

disk1 - Macintosh HD 120.10 GB (84.24 GB free)

Journaled HFS+

Mount point: /

Network:

Interface Bluetooth-Modem: Bluetooth DUN

Interface en0: Wi-Fi

802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

One IPv4 address

Interface en2: Bluetooth PAN

Interface bridge0: Thunderbolt Bridge

System Software:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F2511)

Time since boot: About 2 hours

System Load: 1.64 (1 min ago) 1.23 (5 min ago) 1.18 (15 min ago)

Security:

System Status

Gatekeeper Mac App Store and identified developers

System Launch Agents:

[Not Loaded] 5 Apple tasks

[Loaded] 154 Apple tasks

[Running] 54 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons:

[Not Loaded] 46 Apple tasks

[Loaded] 151 Apple tasks

[Running] 66 Apple tasks

Launch Daemons:

[Loaded] com.malwarebytes.HelperTool.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2017-02-09)

User Launch Agents:

[Loaded] com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist (Dropbox, Inc. - installed 2018-07-24)

User Login Items:

SpeechSynthesisServer Application

(/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ SpeechSynthesis.framework/Versions/A/SpeechSynthesisServer.app)

Internet Plug-ins:

Default Browser: 600 (installed 2015-08-14)

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (installed 2017-07-20)

Safari Extensions:

Adblock Plus.safariextz - Eyeo GmbH - https://adblockplus.org/ (installed 2018-09-07)

Time Machine:

Time Machine Not Configured!

Top Processes by CPU:

Process (count) Source % of CPU

mdworker (7) Apple 8

WindowServer Apple 5

mds Apple 4

kernel_task Apple 1

helpd Apple 0

Top Processes by Memory:

Process (count) Source RAM usage

kernel_task Apple 446 MB

helpd Apple 136 MB

mds_stores Apple 91 MB

cfprefsd (2) Apple 85 MB

mdworker (7) Apple 84 MB

Top Processes by Energy Use:

Process (count) Source Energy usage (0-100)

WindowServer Apple 3

airportd Apple 0

spindump_agent Apple 0

coresymbolicationd Apple 0

cfprefsd (2) Apple 0

Virtual Memory Information:

Available RAM 2.13 GB

Free RAM 699 MB

Used RAM 1.87 GB

Cached files 1.44 GB

Swap Used 46 MB

Diagnostics Information (past 7 days):

2018-09-10 15:43:45 imagent.app CPU

2018-09-10 15:36:56 sharingd CPU

2018-09-07 18:35:17 com.apple.AmbientDisplayAgent Crash

abort called error for object 0x7f996b619248: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.

End of report

Sep 11, 2018 12:05 PM in response to Eric Root

Noticed that DropBox app had automatically updated just around the time that this

issue started, and I don't even really use Drop Box so removed it and its contents.

Have gone 12 entries with no pop up, so have fingers-crossed that this was the

source. My wife on same modem doesn't have this happening, this popup,

and she doesn't have the dropbox app on her computer either.

When I uninstalled the extension Adblock Plus it did not make any difference

to the problem, nor did uninstalling Adobe Flash Player. These are the only

three 'additions' I have.

Have been here before, where there is a long delay and then problem 'pops up'

again. So we shall see.

Thank you for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Sep 29, 2018 12:04 PM in response to webdaveb

This is what worked for me with the same issue after too many hours of trying to

get around it:

Calling Apple Support phone service was very helpful. In showing this picture, and pressing F3 to get behind it when it was blocking the entire screen, it was labeled on the Mac Air OS 10.10.5 as a "Captive Network Assistant". Here are the things you can read about the term for understanding and relief: WHAT IS A CAPTIVE NETWORK ASSISTANT THE BEST VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SWcfQX6lTQ&frags=wn https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/small-business-50 0-series-wireless-access-points/at_a_glance_c45-728251.pdf https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Fhpi190_g&frags=pl%2Cwn ................................ I am satisfying my anxiety about it with this information. I don't go to hot spots, but do have a very active airbnb operating next door to my residence (might that be the source?) At any rate I am just closing the close button, and the page is removed and I move on into using my computer, otherwise undisturbed.

(It ain't fancy, but it is a relief. In my case the popup occurs on log in before any apps are open and intermittently, every 4-17 entries.)

Connecting to wireless triggers error message on apple.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.