Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running Panther or Leopard in Parallels Desktop in High Sierra

I've recently bought a MacBook Pro with MacOS High Sierra. Today I installed a registered copy of Parallels Desktop 14. I want to run either Microsoft Office 2004 (which was compatible with MacOS Panther) or Microsoft Office 2008 (which was compatible with MacOS Leopard). I have the original installation CDs of MacOS Panther and MacOS Leopard (because I had older Macs running those OSs) and of the 2004 and 2008 versions of Microsoft Office. My question is: Can I use any of my old installation CDs for MacOS Panther or MacOS Leopard to install any of those OS versions in Parallels Desktop 14 in my new MacBook Pro running MacOS High Sierra?

iMac (20-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 1, 2018 12:25 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Sep 1, 2018 2:04 PM in response to scrosati

Not sure about those OSes. But 10.6.8 Server is possible to run under Parallels:

Rosetta/PowerPC Applications and Lion and above

Also I think the licensing limitations on the client releases will not allow the others to work under Parallels.

10.3 is also completely PowerPC based, and 10.4 was uniquely Intel and PowerPC on releases starting with 10.4.4.

Since you aren't technically virtualizing the PowerPC processor under Parallels, you are going to have to depend on the limitations of Rosetta within 10.6.8 server. Rosetta doesn't offer driver specific patches. Unless you have really sophisticated tables, you can get one of the Open source versions of Office free like OpenOffice, or Libreoffice and not use Parallels. And Apple's iCloud Pages, Sheets, and Keynote offer office compatibility. Stand alone applications also exist for those under the iWork software that are Intel native.

Parallels is more designed to run Windows natively on a Mac.

Running Panther or Leopard in Parallels Desktop in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.