Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portrait photo effect lost after transferring to Mac

Hello,

How come my pics shot in Portrait Mode are NOT visible once transferred to my Mac? Two files for each photo are generated (jpg and AAE formats), but the one that matters (the one with the blur effect) is not visible.

I use Adobe Bridge as a photo viewer/organizer, and I transfer my photos from my iphone 7 Plus to my Macbook Pro with the Image Capture app (included in the Mac). I don't use iCloud for my photos.

Is there a way to consolidate these Portrait Mode photos into only one jpg directly in the iphone 7 Plus? Any other way to solve my problem?

Thank you!!

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2018 7:15 AM

When you take a portrait mode photo on an iPhone, the depth map is embedded into the HEIC file. And if you edit the portrait lighting the effect will be saved as an AAE sidecar file.

When Image capture downloads the original image file converted to a JPEG, the depth map will be lost.

You need Photos 3.0 and High Sierra to process the portrait photos.

Try, if you can see the blurry portrait effect, if you mail the Portrait mode photos. Mailing the photo will share a preview of the adjusted photo, not the original image file like importing with Image Capture will do.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2018 7:15 AM in response to mmancioli

When you take a portrait mode photo on an iPhone, the depth map is embedded into the HEIC file. And if you edit the portrait lighting the effect will be saved as an AAE sidecar file.

When Image capture downloads the original image file converted to a JPEG, the depth map will be lost.

You need Photos 3.0 and High Sierra to process the portrait photos.

Try, if you can see the blurry portrait effect, if you mail the Portrait mode photos. Mailing the photo will share a preview of the adjusted photo, not the original image file like importing with Image Capture will do.

Oct 3, 2018 9:32 AM in response to mmancioli

Hi

There is another way.

Open 'Preview' App.

Plug your iPhone 7plus into your Mac and then from Preview select the option in the menu to import form your iPhone.

This brings up your pics from your iPhone. Select the Portrait pic and import them.

You MAY get 2 of each pic and a AAE file.

However one will have the Portrait filter, one will not and have the sidecar AAE file with it.

I am trying to turn off the extra Normal Picture option that was shown in iOS10 and 11 and that is missing for Portrait pics in iOS12.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Sep 4, 2018 6:15 AM in response to mmancioli

Does this mean I have to either start to use Photos

You would need to use Photos on macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra and upgrade from Yosemite to have software, that is compatible with the Portrait mode photos. In Photos 3.0 on High Sierra you can also modify the portrait lighting effect.

And edit Live Photos (Bounce, Loop, Long exposure), if you are taking Live Photos on your iPhone.

Oct 4, 2018 4:26 PM in response to mmancioli

I have posted the query regarding the missing option from ios10 to turn off 'Keep original picture' that now is missing in iOS 12.

Other ways to transfer files are:
1: AirDrop - Transfers the filtered file
2: Photos app - transfers the file into a Photos Lib or Albu, but then you have to Export them to jpeg!
3: Preview - gives you 3 files, one has the portrait mode the other two are AAE and Normal.

Cheers

Portrait photo effect lost after transferring to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.