Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combining ethernet and wireless connections to Airport Extreme.

I currently have an Airport Extreme connected to a cable modem and am extending the range to the back of my house with a wireless connection to an Airport Express base station. I want to extend the range to my basement using an ethernet connection between the Airport Extreme and a second Airport Express. Will this work? It's very hard to connect the first Express to the Extreme via ethernet but Apple instructions seem to suggest you can have a wireless network or an ethernet network but not combine them. Any suggestions about whether it will work before I got out and buy the second Express?

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 10:46 PM

It will work fine. Extend by wireless is actually a lot poorer method than extend by wire.

You can do both at the same time.

Unless you need another express for airplay purposes or future, an extreme is far far better router.. even a second hand gen5 Extreme is a far better router than the 2nd Gen express.. and will only cost you a few dollars.. albeit they are getting long in the tooth now.

Any wireless router at all can be happily used in Access Point mode.. so you don't even need to buy Apple if they are hard to get hold of since Apple no longer makes airport series.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2018 10:46 PM in response to jonathanfromclovelly

It will work fine. Extend by wireless is actually a lot poorer method than extend by wire.

You can do both at the same time.

Unless you need another express for airplay purposes or future, an extreme is far far better router.. even a second hand gen5 Extreme is a far better router than the 2nd Gen express.. and will only cost you a few dollars.. albeit they are getting long in the tooth now.

Any wireless router at all can be happily used in Access Point mode.. so you don't even need to buy Apple if they are hard to get hold of since Apple no longer makes airport series.

Combining ethernet and wireless connections to Airport Extreme.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.