Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages will not type my dictation.

I try to dictate in Pages and I get a prompt but nothing happens, no Microphone symbol.

Posted on Sep 4, 2018 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2018 1:06 PM

No microphone symbol has nothing to do with Pages, as you would ordinarily see the pulsing microphone avatar on the Desktop waiting for input — before you launched any application. In High Sierra, check System Preferences : Keyboard panel : Dictation, and click on the down-arrow for your microphone icon there. Select automatic. If you are using an older version of OS X or macOS, there may be a separate Dictation panel in System Preferences.

User uploaded file

Also, check System Preferences : Sound panel : Input tab for available microphones. Switch to appropriate microphone if more than one.

You must click in the body text of Pages before a properly configured dictation will function. If not, dictation will ignore you.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2018 1:06 PM in response to Leescott

No microphone symbol has nothing to do with Pages, as you would ordinarily see the pulsing microphone avatar on the Desktop waiting for input — before you launched any application. In High Sierra, check System Preferences : Keyboard panel : Dictation, and click on the down-arrow for your microphone icon there. Select automatic. If you are using an older version of OS X or macOS, there may be a separate Dictation panel in System Preferences.

User uploaded file

Also, check System Preferences : Sound panel : Input tab for available microphones. Switch to appropriate microphone if more than one.

You must click in the body text of Pages before a properly configured dictation will function. If not, dictation will ignore you.

Pages will not type my dictation.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.