Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone photos won't show up in Photos

When I connect my iPhone to my Mac the photos on my iPhone do not show up in Photos, so I cannot import them. I have iOS 11.4.1 and the most recent Photos update. This problem started when I updated to iOS 11. Quitting and restarting everything has not helped. Can anyone help? Thanks.

iPhone 4S, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Sep 6, 2018 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2018 8:33 AM

Which system version is running on your Mac? If your iPhone is set to take photos in the new High Efficiency format, only a Mac with High Sierra can read and download the photos. You can change the settings on the iPhone to use a more compatible format, see:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Another problem may be iCloud Photo Library.

When you use a USB connection, you can only transfer photos and videos, that are currently in the Camera Roll. This will exclude all photos, that have been synced to the iPhone with iTunes.

Also, you cannot download photos from iCloud Photo Library this way, only photos, that are saved locally on the iPhone. If iCloud Photos Library is enabled on your iPhone, and the "Optimize Storage" option is also enable, not all photos will be stored locally, only smaller, optimized thumbnails.To be able to download the currently optimized photos as well, tap them to view them enlarged.

You may be using iCloud Photo Library, without being aware of it. The upgrade to iOS 11 may have enabled it. Check the Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos. DIsable "Optimize Storage", if it is possible.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2018 8:33 AM in response to curlofsmoke

Which system version is running on your Mac? If your iPhone is set to take photos in the new High Efficiency format, only a Mac with High Sierra can read and download the photos. You can change the settings on the iPhone to use a more compatible format, see:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Another problem may be iCloud Photo Library.

When you use a USB connection, you can only transfer photos and videos, that are currently in the Camera Roll. This will exclude all photos, that have been synced to the iPhone with iTunes.

Also, you cannot download photos from iCloud Photo Library this way, only photos, that are saved locally on the iPhone. If iCloud Photos Library is enabled on your iPhone, and the "Optimize Storage" option is also enable, not all photos will be stored locally, only smaller, optimized thumbnails.To be able to download the currently optimized photos as well, tap them to view them enlarged.

You may be using iCloud Photo Library, without being aware of it. The upgrade to iOS 11 may have enabled it. Check the Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos. DIsable "Optimize Storage", if it is possible.

Sep 12, 2018 8:33 AM in response to curlofsmoke

Hi curlofsmoke! As far as I know iOS 11.4.1 cannot be run on an iPhone 4s, which your profile shows, so which iPhone do you really have? In addition to all the very god and detailed advice léonie has given you just one other tip...make sure that when you connect your iPhone to your Mac that the phone is unlocked! If it´s locked and you open Photos nothing will show up. Sometimes there is a warning to unlock my phone, sometimes there isn´t. This could be a small bug, who knows! I am running iOS 11.4.1 on my iPhone X, macOS 10.13.6 on my new iMac with Photos 3.0...all up to date, but I still have to remember to unlock my phone first! I don't have Photos set to open automatically when my phone is connected, because I prefer it that way. Hope this helps you! Regards, Ian.

iPhone photos won't show up in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.