Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My gps on my new iPhone X is not working

For the past couple days every time I open maps or waze it says no GPS signal and then in 5 10 or 15 minutes into my trip suddenly start working And then stop just as quick I have tried all the advice in your discussion group and none of it has worked I have only had this phone for 23 weeks and this is quite annoying as I rely on my maps quite a lot

Posted on Sep 7, 2018 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2018 2:20 PM

Yes they are on . Was not meaning to sound snappy but was getting really annoyed with the situation I’m sorry . I only post it up here after I tried every other option I’m pretty tech Sevie and when it comes to mobiles I had iPhones for 6 plus years and never had to get support always figure it out myself . Also did not help that the comments page kept freezing every time I try to write a post it would freeze on the posting section so I had to retype a dozen times . But again sorry for sounding rude.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2018 2:20 PM in response to KiltedTim

Yes they are on . Was not meaning to sound snappy but was getting really annoyed with the situation I’m sorry . I only post it up here after I tried every other option I’m pretty tech Sevie and when it comes to mobiles I had iPhones for 6 plus years and never had to get support always figure it out myself . Also did not help that the comments page kept freezing every time I try to write a post it would freeze on the posting section so I had to retype a dozen times . But again sorry for sounding rude.

Sep 7, 2018 11:48 AM in response to damo445

GPS requires a clear view of the sky. If anything is obstructing that view (heavy tree cover, heavy rain, highway underpasses, tunnels, etc) then GPS can't work. That's why iPhones support "assisted" GPS (AGPS). To use this you must have Wi-Fi on, and the phone cannot be in Airplane mode as it also uses cellular tower triangulation.

If you still have a problem with Wi-Fi on and a good cellular signal make a Genius Bar appointment to have the phone checked out: Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 7, 2018 3:26 PM in response to damo445

damo445 wrote:

it is obviously a software update issue and not my phone !

On the contrary, if it was software then why would my iPhone X on 11.4.1 behave quite well with GPS? Your problem is either:

1. External interference
  2. Corrupted data (maybe the update installation didn't go so well, or some other corruption)
  3. Compromised hardware (maybe not completely faulty, but not working to optimum performance)

For #2, you can try restarting your iPhone, or turning Location Services OFF and then back ON after a few minutes, Reset Network Settings (under General/ Reset), or restoring your iPhone (erase it, reload iOS, and then load your most recent backup, or don't load a backup and start anew).

If that does not help, and you're in an area where you should not experience interference and have GPS trouble, then #3 is likely and that is where you make an appointment with Apple.

My gps on my new iPhone X is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.