Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro 3,1 flashes every 30 sec, boot only in safe, monitor probs

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 from 2008, 2.8 ghz Quad Core Intel, 16 ram, 4 hard drives. I run 10.6.8 and want that for certain software. All of a sudden, now all the time, it flashes every 30 seconds, and, on one of my dual monitors the image is all broken up in squares. The other monitor is fine.
It won’t boot up in regular mode… the circle is going around just stops and freezes.
It boots in safe mode, but the blinking happens.
Can anyone give me some ideas of what to do. I see they only cost about $200, but if it’s simple I would like to do try.

I think I tried PRAM.. I switched monitors and unplugged one. I used first aid.

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 9, 2018 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2018 9:45 PM

I'm afraid I have bad news for you, CarolLeigh. the pixelization (image breaking up in squares) and the flashing every 30 seconds, even in safe mode, and the fact that it won't boot up in regular mode means it might be your video card. Shut down your Mac pro, disconnect the power cord,flip the latch at the back and remove the side panel. the video card should be there, under the optical drive cage and the hard drive sleds. Check to see that it's not clogged up with dust and that the fins on the fan on the card are not too dusty. a can of compressed air might be helpful in removing that dust, and there may be a vent at the back of the card, so a stream of air through the card might be okay. If you know that the cables going to the monitor are okay, and that the monitor itself is working, then there's no need to check 'em. Do you have a backup done? do you have a backup system in place, just in case.... oh, and make sure that the power cables to the video card are fastened securely, both on the card, and on the logic board. you could try resettting the smc/pmu---that's a simple thing to do, it's free and it's worth a try. How to do it can be found with google or yahoo, etc. If none of the things I have suggested have worked---eg; problem is the same as before, then replacement of your video card might be your only option. You may be able to find a used Mac video card (working) for a reasonable price, or you may be able to get a newer slightly more powerful one, but it probably won't be $200. I don't know what your budget is for this, though. However, you can replace your own video card. That is simple to do. I would not be inclined to take it to my local A**le store for service though. For one-you'd be paying their prices, and I've heard that policy is to replace like with like, as in, whatever you had before you'll have again. Nothing better-just the same. However, this is just my opinion....good luck and let us know how it turns out

John b

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2018 9:45 PM in response to CarolLeigh

I'm afraid I have bad news for you, CarolLeigh. the pixelization (image breaking up in squares) and the flashing every 30 seconds, even in safe mode, and the fact that it won't boot up in regular mode means it might be your video card. Shut down your Mac pro, disconnect the power cord,flip the latch at the back and remove the side panel. the video card should be there, under the optical drive cage and the hard drive sleds. Check to see that it's not clogged up with dust and that the fins on the fan on the card are not too dusty. a can of compressed air might be helpful in removing that dust, and there may be a vent at the back of the card, so a stream of air through the card might be okay. If you know that the cables going to the monitor are okay, and that the monitor itself is working, then there's no need to check 'em. Do you have a backup done? do you have a backup system in place, just in case.... oh, and make sure that the power cables to the video card are fastened securely, both on the card, and on the logic board. you could try resettting the smc/pmu---that's a simple thing to do, it's free and it's worth a try. How to do it can be found with google or yahoo, etc. If none of the things I have suggested have worked---eg; problem is the same as before, then replacement of your video card might be your only option. You may be able to find a used Mac video card (working) for a reasonable price, or you may be able to get a newer slightly more powerful one, but it probably won't be $200. I don't know what your budget is for this, though. However, you can replace your own video card. That is simple to do. I would not be inclined to take it to my local A**le store for service though. For one-you'd be paying their prices, and I've heard that policy is to replace like with like, as in, whatever you had before you'll have again. Nothing better-just the same. However, this is just my opinion....good luck and let us know how it turns out

John b

Sep 9, 2018 10:00 PM in response to Johnb-one

Dear Johnb-one,

Thank you so much for this!! I really appreciate it. You solved my problems.

I will try all those things. I made sure it's not about the monitor or cables, but I can double check.

I used to take my tower apart a lot but got out of the habit since newer macs can't be worked on like that anymore. I thought it would be the video card. Mostly I was hoping it wasn't the motherboard. I have 3 or 4 old macs around but I need a good 10.6.8 system. (I just have some old Final Cut projects I haven't converted to Premiere yet, plus I am attached to some old software. )

I should just get the card. I actually have an old video card I could try before buying a newer one. It sounds easy to replace. I will open it up first.

I bet I could find a video card for closer to $100. Even less. I dreaded buying that and it not working, but my budget it fine for this.

Thanks again. You helped me so much, just knowing it's confirmed and it's probably-maybe the video card.

CarolLeigh

Sep 10, 2018 8:56 AM in response to CarolLeigh

You’re welcome CarolLeigh. It is really easy to replace a video card. There’s a bar with 2 thumscrews on it, there’s a little notch towards the back end where it slots into the PCI - express board and there’s the power cables And that’s it. On some of the newer models there’s a button you have to push inside near the fans. This moves ‘em forward and releases a bar underneath . As you put it back in push the button the fans go back and the bar moves back. Maybe 20 mins tops to get it done. I have the sapphire 7950. - and yeah it’ll work with a mac pro 3,1 no prob

Thats it

John b

MacPro 3,1 flashes every 30 sec, boot only in safe, monitor probs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.