Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore contacts? I deleted from iphone 5 and it also deleted from iphone 6

I removed my contacts on my iPhone 5 in order to give it to my granddaughter. It also erased them from my iPhone 6. How do I restore the numbers to my 6?

iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 6:35 AM

If it happened what you've described, it means that iP5 and iP6 have the same Apple ID (and that's not good for you nor for your granddaughter).

Read what you had to do before giving away your iP5 (after making a full backup of that device):

What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

As far as Contacts are concerned, it looks like you had your contacts synced with iCloud.

But if you deleted them.... check if they are still on iCloud (via computer open. www.icloud.com the see if contacts are still there (I'm afraid they are gone).

Pls let me know also if you still have a full backup of your iP5.

Regards

Giulio

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2018 6:35 AM in response to Imsyew

If it happened what you've described, it means that iP5 and iP6 have the same Apple ID (and that's not good for you nor for your granddaughter).

Read what you had to do before giving away your iP5 (after making a full backup of that device):

What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

As far as Contacts are concerned, it looks like you had your contacts synced with iCloud.

But if you deleted them.... check if they are still on iCloud (via computer open. www.icloud.com the see if contacts are still there (I'm afraid they are gone).

Pls let me know also if you still have a full backup of your iP5.

Regards

Giulio

Sep 11, 2018 6:36 AM in response to Imsyew

I don’t believe you can get them back once you remove them from one device because due to the nature of how iCloud syncing works they get removed across all connected devices.

Also they do not get backed up when making an iCloud BackUp, because they are believed to be available from the cloud.

These may explain further

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Get help using iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders - Apple Support

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

I believe the only way to retrieve is if you made an encrypted iTunes BackUp via a Mac.

How do I restore contacts? I deleted from iphone 5 and it also deleted from iphone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.