Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external hard drive on iMac and PC

Hi! I am deciding to get rid of my desktop PC (running Windows 10) and switch to a brand new iMac. I have bought a new Seagate Expansion 8TB External Hard Drive USB 3.0 that I would like to use between both the PC and iMac to transfer large movie files (some close to 4GB). Once I transfer the movies from the PC I would like to keep them on the external hard drive and set up an iTunes library to access the movie files from the external hard drive. If I format the external hard drive in exFAT will it work seamlessly between the two operating systems or is there a better way? I have seen some articles online but most of them are at least 3-5 years old. Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Will be using a new iMac

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2018 1:48 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities jcrostic,

I see that you have a question about formatting an external hard drive to work between Windows and macOS. I'd be happy to provide you with some information to help.

To answer your question, yes, you'd want to format the external drive to ​ExFAT. The following article provides more information and can help with setting this up.

Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Partition a physical disk using Disk Utility
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Enjoy your day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2018 1:48 PM in response to jcrostic

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities jcrostic,

I see that you have a question about formatting an external hard drive to work between Windows and macOS. I'd be happy to provide you with some information to help.

To answer your question, yes, you'd want to format the external drive to ​ExFAT. The following article provides more information and can help with setting this up.

Disk Utility for macOS Sierra: Partition a physical disk using Disk Utility
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Enjoy your day!

Using external hard drive on iMac and PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.