Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add addresses to the address list of an already existing rule?

How do I add addresses to the address list of a rule I made a while ago?

While you are creating a rule in Email, you can add as many addresses as you like to the rule; but only while you are making the rule. When you go to edit the rule, it doesn't give me the option to continue adding addresses.

This is counter intuitive and doesn't make sense to me.

I have a rule for about 15 addresses and I need to know how to continue adding addresses to it.

Thank you for your input!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2018 12:20 PM

Why not click the + button?!

User uploaded file

12 replies

Sep 12, 2018 6:47 AM in response to Scottblabla

I see no difference at all between the moment I am creating a rule, adding addresses, and the moment I return to it later; the + button is still there, and I can continue to add more addresses as needed.

Perhaps if you can post some screenshots (without any personal data, you can use dummy addresses, and no need to put 15 of them) showing the difference between the first and subsequent accesses to a rule, it will iluminate us to see the problem.

AFAICT, it is working just fine here.

Sep 12, 2018 12:16 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you!

I wasn't processing that possibility at first because that didn't make sense to me. Those plus buttons seemed associated with the specific individual addresses next to them.

So there are simply multiple "+" buttons, and it doesn't matter which one you hit? And they all seem associated with whatever address is on the same line, yet they aren't?

That doesn't make sense to me but thank you for the actual answer.

It would make more sense to have an empty line that is always there, my mind just works differently I suppose.

Thank you, I appreciate the fix!

Sep 12, 2018 12:38 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I think I understand your point.

But why would there be multiple ways to do one thing on the same page?

Does it make any difference which "+" I hit?

In my previous screenshot, there would then be two buttons right next to each other that do the same thing: give me an empty field to add a new address. You'd think there'd be an empty line that doesn't go away where you add new addresses, instead you randomly choose from multiple "+"'s to do the same thing?

You have resolved my issue, it's simply something that surprises/confuses me. It doesn't really make complete sense to me; then again I'm not entirely a computer genius.

Thank you!

Sep 12, 2018 1:24 PM in response to Scottblabla

I don't see any weirdness. The several + buttons just allow you to add your conditions in a different order.

If you see

A +

B +

C +

and want to add a D after the A, press the + button next to A; etc.

There does not seem to be an immediate way to add something *before* everything else already there - i.e., if you wanted to add a D first on the list; but you could change the A to a D, then add A in second place.

Add addresses to the address list of an already existing rule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.