Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library.itl file can not be found after today's new update!

My previous iTunes was working fine, however today (9/13/18) I downloaded the new version & received this error message afterwards:

"iTunes Library.itl file can not be found or created. The default location for this file is in the iTunes folder in the music folder."

Now I store my music on an external hard drive, however I have done that for years? I have attempted to remove and redownload but it seems I am stuck here for now.

Windows Desktop-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 13, 2018 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2018 7:44 AM

This set of steps is only required if the iCloud Music Library has been corrupted, which probably isn't the case here. As long as you work with a copy of the library file you want to go back to then you can revisit the restoration process again if required.

There is nothing that stops you disconnecting your computer before you copy, paste, and rename files and/or shift/option start iTunes to connect to a different library file. Once iTunes is open you can follow the other steps.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2018 7:44 AM in response to Jericho818

This set of steps is only required if the iCloud Music Library has been corrupted, which probably isn't the case here. As long as you work with a copy of the library file you want to go back to then you can revisit the restoration process again if required.

There is nothing that stops you disconnecting your computer before you copy, paste, and rename files and/or shift/option start iTunes to connect to a different library file. Once iTunes is open you can follow the other steps.

tt2

Sep 14, 2018 7:31 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. One question though...I am both iTunes Match & Apple music subscriber...How am I to do the below mentioned sequence when I can not get into iTunes?

Additional steps for iCloud Music Library users

If you have access to iCloud Music Library as part of an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription disconnect from the Internet before restoring the old database, turn iCloud Music Library off, then close iTunes, reconnect to the Internet, open iTunes and turn iCloud Music Library back on again. These options can be found under Edit > Preferences > General (Windows) or iTunes > Preferences > General (Mac OS X).

Jericho

iTunes Library.itl file can not be found after today's new update!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.