Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2018 overheating, and other strange problems

Hello Apple support community, I am a long time Apple admirer but I'm so unhappy with my latest purchase. I bought my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) about a month ago. Since then, I noticed that this notebook feels more like a trashy Windows computer with lots of problems, unlike a real mac like my old Macbook Air. That one used to work perfectly. I am extremely unhappy with my purchase and also want to let every Apple fan know that this laptop is faulty.

So the biggest issue with this computer is that even under very light load, it overheats. Like the palm rests become uncomfortable because they are too hot, and don't even get me started how it feels if I use it on my lap. I literally have to wipe the computer every 10 minutes because of the sweat caused by hot palm rests. I got the same issue with the first Macbook Pro 2018 I bought, I then got it replaced, but there is no difference at all. Before touching on every issue, let me show you some proof that this computer's cooling system is not working properly. Writing this post, I am very uncomfortable because of the heat on my legs.

Here's what Apple says about the heat. It will surely decrease the life of my computer:

User uploaded file

I am also really disappointed by the bad battery life of this laptop compared to my 2015 macbook air. Here's a picture of the battery life under normal load: (I think it is so bad because of the heat problem)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Here's the battery life when the computer is cold:

User uploaded file

For the heat issue, I took different screenshots in different scenarios and have a label for each photo, describing what it is about. I screenshotted the fan speeds, cpu temperatures and the computer load everytime I noticed unusual things.

Here the computer is really really hot:

User uploaded file

This is a screenshot when the palm rest felt really hot:

User uploaded file

This is when computer is kind of under some load, but doesnt feel so hot:

User uploaded file

This is when computer was really hot but fans were not working:

User uploaded file

This is when it was hot and fans running slowly:

User uploaded file

Fans running fast while not hot:

User uploaded file

A screenshot when everything feels totally normal, computer doesnt feel hot:

https://pasteboard.co/HDURYKP.png

This is when the bottom of the computer felt extremely hot:

https://pasteboard.co/HDURF8nf.png

This is when the temperatures look cool but the bottom of the laptop is burning:

https://pasteboard.co/HDUR8NH.png

When laptop was cool but fans running crazy:

https://pasteboard.co/HDUQP0c.png

When my hands are really hot because of the burning palm rest:

https://pasteboard.co/HDUQCic.png

When laptop is burning yet no fan working:

https://pasteboard.co/HDUQsY4.png

Here are some other problems occurred you would not expect from a real Apple notebook(These kind of -windows computer- style issues never happened to my 3-year-old MacBook Air):

- Airdrop doesnt work when connected to VPN. I've tested this and I'm sure that VPN connection blocks Airdrop usage between my macbook and iPhone X

macbook pro 2018 sound got stuck in the middle of the song - had to force restart the computer - YouTube

macbook pro 2018 screen gone - had to force restart the computer - YouTube

macbook pro 2018 won't turn on after crashed - YouTube

macbook pro wont sleep - YouTube

I am hoping to get support here because trying to get support through live chat and phone support, but they just kept asking for hardware test and stuff, and hardware tests didn't show any issues. I contacted Apple through feedback also, noting everything, but they did not respond. I need real Apple engineers to notice my report of strange problems and acknowledge them. This laptop disgraces Apple's quality. The overheating is absolutely not normal for this laptop. This laptop gets hot even if you only have safari open with 2 tabs

macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 14, 2018 4:23 PM

89 replies

Nov 10, 2018 7:31 PM in response to denigada

I also have this problem with my 13" MacBook Pro 2018 with Touch Bar. I have taken it to the Genius Bar and was told there were no hardware issues found.

On a fresh install my MacBook runs very hot and crashes when I'm simply watching a lecture and taking notes in One Note. I couldn't find a temperature monitor from Apple, however iStats Menu tells me I'm running at 160 F. I only use my MacBook case-free and have the display on very low, to avoid excessive heat. Please help.

User uploaded file

Nov 28, 2018 3:12 AM in response to denigada

Thanks for the detailed response. I have the same problem with my new 2018 15 inch i7. Macbook is getting over heated even with a regular day to day activity. I can observe this heat issue even with the 20 - 30% CPU utilization’s. It’s very difficult to have it on your lap. I have the latest version of operating system which did not solve the issue. Another annoying point is in 1 hours it drained almost 50% of my battery. I am not sure it’s relates to the heat build up. I am very much surprised to see that with the same load my other thinkpad laptop is working perfectly fine which is way almost less than $1000 than this. Apple you definitely need to resolve this issue.

Dec 8, 2018 12:06 PM in response to denigada

Same issue here.

I spent four...thousand...dollars....on this MBP! Fans are always blasting under minimal load. CPU never reaches 10%. I've uninstalled nearly all other software to see if something has been running under the hood somewhere causing this. Activity monitor never shows anything hogging resources anywhere. The only time fans are not blasting away is when I close everything and look at a blank screen. I'm about to return this and stick with my 2015 MBP. PLEASE FIX APPLE!!!

Dec 11, 2018 2:42 PM in response to denigada

I've had the same issues with my 2nd MBP. Got a 2018 MBP 15 inch, beginning of September...1 TB, 32 GB RAM, 2.9 i9. Got SUPER HOT & burned my legs!!!! Plus,the Fan WOULDN't STOP running & the Battery....UGH!!!! Depleted faster than my puppy would eat her food! Then the fan made a loud weird noise & luckily I recorded the noise as my iPhone was next to me. Only 2 weeks in, I made an appt. I couldn't replicate the problem at Apple Store(of course). So, luckily I showed them the video. Since it was custom build, I had to wait 2 more weeks. Now I have the new 2018 MBP. Same specs. Still have same problems. I'm a photographer & use PhotoShop & Lightroom all of the time. Frustration is everyday. I miss my MacBook Air as well. I NEVER had problems with the 2 Airs that we own. Really torn with what to do. Debating on going back to Apple & getting a new one, but w/o the i9 processor. We are a family of 5 with iPads, mini iPad's, I phones, MacBook Airs, & now MBP, plus College kiddo has a MBP. I would like to know if this overheating/battery life/fan issue will be resolved or if the $4,500 investment is another lemon.

Dec 23, 2018 9:53 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

This is a silly argument. Firstly, where does Apple say it's NOT a laptop? Nowhere. Second, you're actually proving my point, but let me dumb it down for you: Apple acknowledges that the MBP can and will be used on the lap, hence the warning for "prolonged" usage there. They don't say "don't use it there", they just say don't use it there for a long period of time. What you're trying to point out is merely a subjective conclusion based on zero fact. Third, tons of major outlets refer to the MBP as a laptop. CNET, The Verge, MacWorld, Quora, etc etc...the list goes on and on. I guess they're all wrong too, so you should contact them, what a travesty!

Also, your attempt at answering jbk224bamacophile was not helpful at all to him/her, incomplete and not based on any data. "modern opperating systems use all available RAM to increase speed and efficiency." ALL available?? I can't speak for everyones usage, but mine. Given the fact that I can transfer photos, simultaniously play a big project in Logic Pro while surfing via Safari and have three other apps running in the background with a grand total of 38% memory being used while loading my CPU at 29.8% peak (iStat numbers) tells me and many others that the newer MBP's have a serious issue with overheating under an average (at best) load. All the while, my 2018 MBP is elevated 1" off of a hard surface and running at 162 deg F in a room at a temperature of 72 deg F. It's as well ventilated as it can possibly be without housing it in a freezer as I use it.

Your points are simply rhetorical, subjective and opinion based.

Dec 27, 2018 7:28 AM in response to Waitingtoupdate

Sad to read these posts on overheating of the MBP. I am in desprite need of replacing my current 2008 which also has an over heating issue that started out of the box. Come on Apple — this has been a problem for MBP for a very long time. Figure it out.

It is time for a new computer. 2008 is not only a little old.,It is obsolete and/or vintage.

Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

May 15, 2019 10:48 PM in response to denigada

If you think it is malfunctioning while under warranty, then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

"Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party.” [Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty – Accessory - For Apple and Beats Branded Products Only.]

Feb 13, 2019 3:49 PM in response to denigada

Hi all, me again

I already posted on this forum stating that I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

I have notice that MACBOOK PRO starts heating when:

1. I start a videoconferencing using GoToMeeting or Google Hangout.
  2. Using Lightroom and exporting RAW pics to JPEG format (CPU temperature is up 100 celsius degrees)

Anybody knows how to scale this to apple?...

Mar 2, 2019 12:52 PM in response to d_nak8

I feel the same way. I called tech support Several different times. Responses:

1. my 2018 15” MacBook Pro is not meant to be used on your lap.

1. This is normal behavior
  2. people want thin computers and no fans can cool this thin of a computer
  3. Go buy a cooling mat w th fans.

Why would I need to buy a cooling fan mat to carry around with my brand new MacBook Pro?? Not to mention it is USB powered. So much for portability. Btw he told me exactly what to look for on Amazon.

Mar 27, 2019 9:00 AM in response to DPJ

Hi DPJ, thank you for your reply.

1. No Chrome unless I have to test a website. I am a web developer and I use Safari for Wordpress. But I do use Chrome occasionally to test a webpage.
  2. I will check the activity monitor to find out which app is using high resources.

I do watch video and I have the MacBook Pro connected to an external display for this. Not sure if this contributes to high heat as I'm mirroring the display. But I normally turn off the display for this.

If all else fails, I'll try the PRAM reset you suggested. Thank you.

Jul 5, 2019 10:06 AM in response to denigada

Your Safari and Chrome are very high in CPU usage. Chrome itself is very bad in terms of being a CPU hog. My Safari is only 6.47 and I have 6 tabs open. Obviously the sites you're visiting with Safari are causing a heavy CPU load. See my screenshot. But again 60 degrees celsius is normal.

Nov 3, 2018 3:34 PM in response to d_nak8

I don't think there will be a solution until apple goes away from intel chips or adds some real cooling fans. I have the 15" pro i7 and gets hot but since i use it as a desktop (just connected to 2 monitors) it doesn't matter. I do need another laptop for travel so now i will upgrade my old Mac Air with the new one, since I am hoping the new Air does not heat up like either of the 13" or 15" pros. oh well...

Nov 7, 2018 10:25 AM in response to denigada

I’m glad I read this thread before buying a MacBook Pro 13. Is this unique to the quad-core version or does it also affect the dual-core as well? Has Apple responded meaningfully yet? I see over 40 “me too” comments on this problem. Would love to know if I should go buy a Razer Blade Stealth 13 instead if there continues to be a heat issue with the MBP.

Macbook Pro 2018 overheating, and other strange problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.