Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X ran slow, and now won't open due to control surface duplicates.

A few weeks ago Logic started running VERY slowly (loading times and spinning wheel between every click) and I'm fairly sure that it's because Logic is registering hundreds of duplicated control surfaces. I've been using a midi piano and a maschine mk 3, and it appears they've been creating new duplicate midi mappings whenever I plug them in.

Going to preferences and selecting "bypass all control surfaces" makes Logic run perfectly, so I'm pretty sure this is where the problem lies.

I could go to the list and delete the mappings one by one, but there is a load time of 15-30 seconds each time I do that, and there are hundreds of them. Is there a way to delete all of these at once?

Now Logic won't even open. The icon simply bounces on the task bar and says that it is not responding. It opened once but then quickly froze b/c the computer ran out of application memory.

I have tried deleting the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs file, but that caused logic to change somewhat (different icons on the tracks and a wood trim on the left side of the screen) and didn't solve the issue. I reinstalled the software after this, which also didn't solve the issue.

I'm running Logic 10.4.1 on a late 2013 macbook pro with 2 GHz Intel core i7 and 16GB of RAM w/ an SSD and ~40GB of available storage. OS is Sierra 10.12.6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 15, 2018 9:05 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 15, 2018 9:30 AM in response to jrf6xh

By deleting preferences you switched Logic back to the less advanced mode (that's why the appearance has changed as you describe). It's easy to deal with, just enable advanced features in Preferences > Advanced tab (red arrow on the screenshot).

Another neat feature which might save you some hassle, is to set Logic to "Do Nothing" on startup (green arrow). This would just start the app, and you may be able to set it up in the Preferences. This may also point to whether the issue is with the project it might have been loading automatically, or not. If the app launches OK, then the problem is with the project.

User uploaded file

Since your issue is apparently with control surfaces, you could also do the following. Go to Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Setup. And uncheck "Automatic installation" option. This will prevent it from creating duplicated control surfaces, as you describe.

User uploaded file

Sep 15, 2018 10:49 AM in response to Radarhus

Thanks again. I can now open Logic (with some loading delays) but I still have not found a resolution to my central issue. Do you know of a way to delete all of the items under the "Zone" tab in the screenshot below? I think this would solve the problem, but it would take hours to delete all of them one by one because of the loading time and the large number of zones.

I have done step 8 in the past, but it did not delete the zone items.

User uploaded file

Logic Pro X ran slow, and now won't open due to control surface duplicates.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.