Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(Space gray) Magic Keyboard not recognized in Windows 10

I just picked up the Magic Keyboard (Space Gray) today and I am trying to use it on my windows computer. I have done this in the past with an Apple USB keyboard so I know if it is possible.

I have watched a few youtube videos for BootCamp and keyboard driver installs. I used the method that they showed with BootCamp 5.1 build (5722).

Download > Extract (BootCamp.msi and Keyboard driver) > Open command prompt as Admin > go to path for the 2 files > Run command - 'msiexec /i BootCamp.msi' > Install Wizard > Restart

This definitely installed BootCamp. I now see it in the Taskbar. However, the fn keys and numpad do not work. The BootCamp control panel doesn't show the keyboard as an option just boot drive. And the Windows Device Manager only sees the keyboard as 'HID Keyboard Device'.

Anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 7:33 PM

I was able to get the Apple Magic Keyboard 2 (Space gray) to work on a Window 10 PC.

1. Make sure you do not have any BootCamp versions installed already. You can remove it from "Add/Remove Programs" if you do. If that doesn't work I used Add/Remove Troubleshooter.

2. Go and download a brigadier.exe. I used 0.2.4.

3. Open the "Command Prompt" as an Admin and navigate to the location of your brigadier.exe.

4. Run the command "brigadier.exe -m MacBookPro14,3" this will download and extract the BootCamp 6 iso from apple that contains the driver for the Apple Magic Keyboard 2.

5. In Windows explore navigate to the BootCamp file. Mine was on my desktop.

6. Use 7-zip to view the contents of the iso and go to Bootcamp > Drivers > Apple. from there extract the Bootcamp.msi and AppleKeyboardInstaller64 to a good location.

7. Go back to your terminal and navigate to where you just placed the 2 files. Run the command "msiexec /i Bootcamp.msi". This should run through the installer.

8. You are done! You may need to restart, but I didn't need to.

Here are some resources I used.

Identify your MacBook Pro model - Apple Support

https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier

Hope others find this and it solves there issue. I know it was very frustrating for me.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2018 7:33 PM in response to roninnanaki

I was able to get the Apple Magic Keyboard 2 (Space gray) to work on a Window 10 PC.

1. Make sure you do not have any BootCamp versions installed already. You can remove it from "Add/Remove Programs" if you do. If that doesn't work I used Add/Remove Troubleshooter.

2. Go and download a brigadier.exe. I used 0.2.4.

3. Open the "Command Prompt" as an Admin and navigate to the location of your brigadier.exe.

4. Run the command "brigadier.exe -m MacBookPro14,3" this will download and extract the BootCamp 6 iso from apple that contains the driver for the Apple Magic Keyboard 2.

5. In Windows explore navigate to the BootCamp file. Mine was on my desktop.

6. Use 7-zip to view the contents of the iso and go to Bootcamp > Drivers > Apple. from there extract the Bootcamp.msi and AppleKeyboardInstaller64 to a good location.

7. Go back to your terminal and navigate to where you just placed the 2 files. Run the command "msiexec /i Bootcamp.msi". This should run through the installer.

8. You are done! You may need to restart, but I didn't need to.

Here are some resources I used.

Identify your MacBook Pro model - Apple Support

https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier

Hope others find this and it solves there issue. I know it was very frustrating for me.

Sep 17, 2018 3:10 PM in response to Loner T

I download the drivers from Apple Support - Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5722.

I thought that BootCamp Assistant is in Mac OS?

After the download of the Support Software, I did the steps mentioned in my first post. (Did you read it?)

I ran a command from Windows command prompt as Admin 'msiexec i/ BootCamp.msi' which installed Bootcamp and claimed to install the keyboard driver.

Here are some screenshots. -

BootCamp in the taskbar.

User uploaded file

Driver files. (I used BootCamp and AppleKeyboardInstaller64)

User uploaded file

BootCamp version downloads I have. (using 5722)

User uploaded file

Hope that helps.

(Space gray) Magic Keyboard not recognized in Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.