Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3rd party USB keyboard not turning on in time to use boot commands

I recently got Bootcamp set up, and I've been trying to use the Option/Alt key press during boot to switch between MacOS and Windows 10. It hasn't been working at all. Looking at the LEDs on my USB-connected keyboard, it looks like it isn't actually turning on until the Apple logo first appears (which is too late by then).

I've tried resetting the SMC without success, and I can't reset the PRAM since that requires keyboard commands on boot too.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's a mechanical keyboard connected via mini USB.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 6:05 PM

Third party keyboards can behave differently than an Apple keyboard. You can try the rEFInd bootloader which will provide a list of operating systems on each boot. Install it using macOS. If you have an Apple keyboard, then you can test rEFInd by creating a bootable rEFInd USB rescue drive to make sure your third party keyboard will work with rEFInd before you install it to your main boot drive.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2019 6:05 PM in response to BrandoHowell

Third party keyboards can behave differently than an Apple keyboard. You can try the rEFInd bootloader which will provide a list of operating systems on each boot. Install it using macOS. If you have an Apple keyboard, then you can test rEFInd by creating a bootable rEFInd USB rescue drive to make sure your third party keyboard will work with rEFInd before you install it to your main boot drive.

3rd party USB keyboard not turning on in time to use boot commands

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.