Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac G4 867Mhz (2001) boots into OPEN FIRMWARE

Hello;

I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction as to what to do next.

I have a PowerMac G4 867Mhz (2001).

I thought the power supply had failed and was looking at converting an ATX power supply.

By chance I discovered that if I disconnect/unplug the power-on board (820-1284-A) (FCT2) and then reconnect it the G4 would power on.

The LED would come on, and then blink 3 times.

So I worked through that until the bad RAM was removed. One of the slots may have failed as well.

The Power-On button however does not work when pressed. (I'll deal with that later).

The G4 only powers on when I do the disconnect/reconnect procedure.

Long story short, I can get the G4 to power on and it starts to boot up but goes to the OPEN FIRMWARE and stops.

I did much reading and found the command - "MULTI-BOOT" - which brings up a list of bootable disc's.

I booted the G4 into 10.5.8 and it started up and began working properly. So far so good.

I'm off loading some old files just in case so I don't lose them.

What I'd really like to know is - why is the boot up sequence going to OPEN FIRMWARE and stopping there - and is there a way to fix it. I'm assuming something is broken.

Many thanks in advance if anyone can offer some advice on how to fix the problem.

Jay.

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2018 7:39 PM

Well that was fun.

LONG story short. I traced the problem, by a means of trial and error, online research, and sheer plain LUCK, to the PowerMac G4s power on switch. Which exists on the a little board numbered 820-1284-A.

So after more online research I found a replacement part on ebay and am currently awaiting it's replacement.

I'll report back when and if, it all works.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2018 7:39 PM in response to phase52010

Well that was fun.

LONG story short. I traced the problem, by a means of trial and error, online research, and sheer plain LUCK, to the PowerMac G4s power on switch. Which exists on the a little board numbered 820-1284-A.

So after more online research I found a replacement part on ebay and am currently awaiting it's replacement.

I'll report back when and if, it all works.

PowerMac G4 867Mhz (2001) boots into OPEN FIRMWARE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.