Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12 Washed out color / colour

I just installed iOS12 on my iPhone X and upon reboot noticed that my screen seems kind of washed out - colours have lost their ‘pop’. I did some googling and people seem to think Apple may have changed the way backgrounds behave once applied, but is seems to me as though the entire OS now experiences washed out colours. I would really like my screen to look as good as it did before this update. It’s rather disappointing. I hope this is a software bug and not a permanent change...

Posted on Sep 17, 2018 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 1:10 AM

SOLVED!!!

my issue has been completely resolved, screen is back to normal and beautiful again:

1. Connect iphone to itunes
  2. Enter into recovery mode (see on youtube how to do it)
  3. Choose UPDATE (even if there is no updates for your iPhone)
  4. Once your phone will wake up from the process (itunes logo on screen will disappear, you phone will just enter standard operations, even without system re-instalation, you will have your screen back to normal!!!)

Worked like a charm!

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2018 1:10 AM in response to brierly89

SOLVED!!!

my issue has been completely resolved, screen is back to normal and beautiful again:

1. Connect iphone to itunes
  2. Enter into recovery mode (see on youtube how to do it)
  3. Choose UPDATE (even if there is no updates for your iPhone)
  4. Once your phone will wake up from the process (itunes logo on screen will disappear, you phone will just enter standard operations, even without system re-instalation, you will have your screen back to normal!!!)

Worked like a charm!

Sep 18, 2018 2:16 AM in response to brierly89

same here (iPhone 7) on IOS 11 the Screen was just a pleasure to look at, great colors, great readability. On IOS 12 now the Homescreen is way too bright and washed out. this is not a Bug or has anything to do with restore your phone after the update etc.

They changed the filter on the background.

I hope they switch back or AT LEAST GIVE US the option. The Screen now looks like a 10$ China Screen, nice Apple.

Sep 21, 2018 4:02 AM in response to brierly89

I fixed this on my phone (super bright background with washed out white text) by going to General->Accessibility->Display Accommodations and just disabling then reenabling my 'reduce white point' setup. I already had it enabled before the upgrade so it looks like just disabling/reenabling seems to fix it (for me at least, YMMV)

Sep 28, 2018 10:40 PM in response to dennissabre

Yea they said the same thing to me, no one has reported it. I noticed it right away when updating. I actually noticed even more when I got my XS Max. I called support and they basically told me to bring the phone back to the apple store and replace it. I did, cause my screen was a bit yellow anyway... and look! The color saturation issue is still there! They had to have changed something. Especially if a lot of people have noticed it.User uploaded file

Sep 17, 2018 8:05 PM in response to deggie

Hi deggie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have checked display settings and everything is normal as before. I really don't want to have to do another restore, I lost a lot of 3rd party app data last time and I've already needed to do a few of these since getting my iPhone X! I know iOS12 focuses on bug fixes and performance, I really hope this means ironing out some of the bugs left behind from iOS11...

Sep 19, 2018 8:10 AM in response to dennissabre

So I spoke to Apple support who neither confirmed or denied they’d heard of this issue. They asked me to carry out a full reset in case it was a clitch in the IOs12 down load. This hasn’t resolved the issue. Next step apparently is to get the phone over to Apple to check the screen. Obviously I’m not buying that it’s a faulty screen especially when it is happening to other users also.

iOS 12 Washed out color / colour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.