Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download and Install Greyed Out iOS Update

i was trying to update my iphone 7 plus to latest ios 12 version but the download and install option in "software update" was greyed out . The error that kept popping up was "Try after connecting to WLAN", depsite being connected to WLAN successfully. I tried resrating device , reconnecting to Wifi, switching off "WLAN assist" but none of them worked.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 12:58 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Dr. Bal!

I understand you're trying to update to iOS 12, but have been unable to due to not being able to press the download and install option. I can understand how this may be frustrating, especially when you're excited to use all of iOS 12's new features. I'd be happy to provide information that may help you out.

Since you've already tried a few steps on your own, give these steps a try: Get help with over-the-air iOS updates

Remove and download the iOS update again

If you still can't install the latest version of iOS, try downloading the update again:

1. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
  2. Find the iOS update in the list of apps.
  3. Tap the iOS update, then tap Delete Update.
  4. Go to Settings > General > Software Update and download the latest iOS update.

If you don’t see the update in the list of apps or if the issue happens again, you need to update your device with iTunes.

As you can see, if you have a computer available updating via iTunes is an option.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2018 12:58 PM in response to Dr. Bal

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Dr. Bal!

I understand you're trying to update to iOS 12, but have been unable to due to not being able to press the download and install option. I can understand how this may be frustrating, especially when you're excited to use all of iOS 12's new features. I'd be happy to provide information that may help you out.

Since you've already tried a few steps on your own, give these steps a try: Get help with over-the-air iOS updates

Remove and download the iOS update again

If you still can't install the latest version of iOS, try downloading the update again:

1. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage.
  2. Find the iOS update in the list of apps.
  3. Tap the iOS update, then tap Delete Update.
  4. Go to Settings > General > Software Update and download the latest iOS update.

If you don’t see the update in the list of apps or if the issue happens again, you need to update your device with iTunes.

As you can see, if you have a computer available updating via iTunes is an option.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

Download and Install Greyed Out iOS Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.