Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight closes after typing a few characters

This just started happening to me in macOS Sierra 10.12.6. It doesn't happen all the time, but often and it's really annoying. It usually happens after tying 2-4 characters. I saw another thread that mentioned this same problem, not no resolution. Any ideas. I've tried rebooting to no avail.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 12:58 AM

After a number of frustrating days, I was able to resolve the issue by deleting and rebuilding the index. Here’s how:

1. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. Click Spotlight.
  3. Click the Privacy tab.
  4. Drag a folder or an entire volume (your hard drive) to the list. If prompted for confirmation, click OK.
  5. Remove the item or volume you just added to the list by clicking it and then clicking the minus (“-“) button.
  6. Close Spotlight preferences.

Once re-indexed, the issue disappeared.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2018 12:58 AM in response to Eric Root

After a number of frustrating days, I was able to resolve the issue by deleting and rebuilding the index. Here’s how:

1. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. Click Spotlight.
  3. Click the Privacy tab.
  4. Drag a folder or an entire volume (your hard drive) to the list. If prompted for confirmation, click OK.
  5. Remove the item or volume you just added to the list by clicking it and then clicking the minus (“-“) button.
  6. Close Spotlight preferences.

Once re-indexed, the issue disappeared.

Sep 20, 2018 10:27 AM in response to Phylaxis

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Spotlight closes after typing a few characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.