Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my spotlight tool bar disappears after I type in 3 letters

my spotlight tool bar disappears after I type in 3 letters..what is up?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.2

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 1:27 PM

I think it has everything to do with the Safari 12 update. Turn OFF (uncheck) the "Bookmarks & History" option in Spotlight pane in System Preferences. The problem will stop until Apple fixes Safari.

User uploaded file

Here is the thread I started yesterday: Spotlight crashes after typing a few letters since Safari 12 update

18 replies

Sep 22, 2018 1:42 PM in response to dialabrain

It does not look like you're using Sierra. I am using Sierra. And all of the other new threads about this issue are being reported in the Sierra board. It's very possible the OP posted his thread in the High Sierra board by mistake, especially since his tagline says he's running iOS on a MacBook Pro.

See this thread in the Sierra board: Spotlight search always quits itself when typing.

Sep 22, 2018 2:34 PM in response to dialabrain

- It seemed to work in Safe Mode. But then it also seemed to work after booting out of Safe Mode until it suddenly started crashing again.

- It does NOT work when logged into a new Admin account.

- It does NOT work after reindexing. (adding drive to Privacy and then removing drive)

- It does NOT work after reindexing via more forceful methods such as deleting the invisible Spotlight files on the root.

- It works during a reindex but starts crashing again after index is complete.

- It always works when "Bookmarks and History" is unchecked.

- It always worked before Safari version 12 update.

If you'd like to see part of my crash log, it's posted in my own thread about this issue.

Spotlight crashes after typing a few letters since Safari 12 update

Sep 22, 2018 5:00 PM in response to sparky67

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This solves the problem.

Your take is also confirmed by Apple to be a conflict between Safari 12 and macOS Sierra.

I had conversations today with two Apple chatbots (Colleen and Maria). Chatbots are generally a waste of time (spending the first 10 minutes retyping your complaint and explaining how they empathize with you). But "Colleen" said once you upgrade to Safari 12, there is no going back; the only solution is to upgrade the OS.

However, you turned out to be smarter than the chatbot.

my spotlight tool bar disappears after I type in 3 letters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.