Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave
Question:

Question: Spotlight crashes after typing a few letters since Safari 12 update

Sierra 10.12.6

So this just started happening after updating to Safari 12 a few days ago.

When I invoke Spotlight, from Finder (command-spacebar) or from menubar, and type a few letters. It immediately vanishes because it crashes.

I forced Spotlight to re-index several times and it briefly works until the indexing is done and then the problem returns. It also happens while using a different Admin account. After a lot of troubleshooting, I can get it to stop crashing by only UN-checking the "Bookmarks & History" option in the Spotlight pane of System Preferences (all other Spotlight options are checked). I think it's a bug or issue with Safari since it's only "Bookmarks & History" and the problem coincides with the update to version 12.

This problem is 100% repeatable.

Here is a portion of the crash log. I can provide more of this log upon request.

Process: Spotlight [1819]

Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/Spotlight.app/Contents/MacOS/Spotlight

Identifier: com.apple.Spotlight

Version: 1.0 (1075.40)

Build Info: SpotlightUI-1075040000000000~244

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: Spotlight [1819]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2018-09-20 23:48:51.219 -0500

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12.6 (16G1510)

Report Version: 12

Time Awake Since Boot: 34000 seconds

Crashed Thread: 4 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4

Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

Application Specific Information:

XPC API Misuse: Release of last reference on a suspended connection.

Application Specific Signatures:

API Misuse

Mac Pro (Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 32 GB, 3.33 GHz 6-Core

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Sep 25, 2018 4:17 PM in response to growler62000 In response to growler62000

@sparky67,

Thanks again.

I posted your work-a-round in my thread on this same issue:

Spotlight Crashes Often - Despite Rebuilding Search Index

It has been extremely annoying to not be able to use Spotlight!

Once I upgrade to Mohave, I may be able to include "Bookmarks & History" option in the Spotlight pane of System Preferences, once again.

Sep 25, 2018 4:17 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 25, 2018 8:37 PM in response to sparky67 In response to sparky67

Sorry @sparky67, you're right I didn't read carefully beyond where you tried reindexing spotlight. I appreciate your post though, because this had been annoying me and it got me on the right track knowing it was related to Safari. I don't use Spotlight to look up browser history or bookmarks, so this workaround is great for me, but I understand it's not ideal for someone who likes to use it for those purposes. Hopefully they'll fix it with the next Safari update.

Sep 25, 2018 8:37 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 29, 2018 4:30 AM in response to sparky67 In response to sparky67

Good work finding the offender. Your workround works great for me.

What kind of testing did they do for Safari 12. I would have thought that interacting with Spotlight would have been on the list as it is a specific checkbox on the Spotlight preferences.

Somehow I don't think I will be instantly updating to Mojave when it comes out. Give it a couple of updates maybe...

Sep 29, 2018 4:30 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 29, 2018 12:56 PM in response to dabricka In response to dabricka

@dabricka - I did rebuild Spotlight index, the easy way through Preferences and the hard way deleting the indexes, to no avail. Unchecking Bookmarks & History works, thanks so much. Spotlight is to me a critical tool and why I stay on Mac OS...that goes and so does overpriced Apple hardware. 🙂

Sep 29, 2018 12:56 PM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Oct 3, 2018 3:41 PM in response to sparky67 In response to sparky67

ME

10-3-18

This issue getting some publicity now:

“Tidbits- Safari 12 Crashes Spotlight in Sierra—Here’s the Fix”

https://tidbits.com/2018/10/01/safari-12-crashes-spotlight-in-sierra-heres-the-f ix/

Oct 3, 2018 3:41 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
Question marked as Solved

Oct 3, 2018 3:46 PM in response to sparky67 In response to sparky67

Workaround:

As I stated in my original post, I unchecked the "Bookmarks & History" option in the Spotlight pane of System Preferences, and the problem is solved.

A Fix:

I upgraded Sierra to High Sierra and re-checked the "Bookmarks & History" item without any problems. Other users have reported that reinstalling Sierra solved the issue, but I cannot confirm this.

Despite the claim in this article that links back to this thread, others are reporting this same issue with High Sierra, but again I cannot confirm because when I upgraded to High Sierra today and then updated Safari to version 12, I was able to re-check the "Bookmarks & History" item without any problems.

Oct 3, 2018 3:46 PM

Reply Helpful (9)
User profile for user: sparky67

Question: Spotlight crashes after typing a few letters since Safari 12 update