Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Large Photos library and 250gb Macbook Pro

I am consolidating all my photos libraries into one library on an external 1TB drive. It will be about 200+ GB. I would like to get the 2TB plan with iCloud so I can have the library accessible on all devices.

My problem is my Macbook Pro has 250gb and only about 150gb available. Can I attach the external drive to the Macbook Pro and designate the 200GB photo library as the system photo library, optimize it and then move it to the internal drive.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 9:51 AM

No. The optimization is based on the available free space on the volume holding the library. If the external HD has plenty of space the files won't be optimized. You need to do the optimization on your boot drive so the process can adjust the optimization based on the free space. As I recall it tries to keep 20% of the drive as free space.

User uploaded file

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2018 9:51 AM in response to netforest

No. The optimization is based on the available free space on the volume holding the library. If the external HD has plenty of space the files won't be optimized. You need to do the optimization on your boot drive so the process can adjust the optimization based on the free space. As I recall it tries to keep 20% of the drive as free space.

User uploaded file

Large Photos library and 250gb Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.