Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.8.0.150 Doesn't See iPhone

Hello,

Here's a problem with iTunes 12.8.0.150 which I don't seem to be able to resolve: It doesn't see my iPhone (iPhone 8, iOS 12) when I connect it to my MacBook.

The iPhone is normally visible among connected devices when I go to System Information > Hardware > USB. Also, the Image Capture can see the iPhone without any issues, sees all photos stored on it and can retrieve them. It's just iTunes that ignores the iPhone entirely.

Is there a possibility to actually reinstall the iTunes in some non-drastic way? At this point, it seems that the app is the troublemaker here.

Thank you for your help.

iPhone 8, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 9:47 AM

Download the current 12.8 installer for iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/.

Unlock your iOS device and connect it to USB.

Install iTunes from the .dmg that you've downloaded.

At the end of the installation it should announce that a further software update is required.

Install that and iTunes should see your devices.

Or wait for Apple to release iTunes 12.9 for Mac. 😕

tt2

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2018 9:47 AM in response to Mike P CZ

Download the current 12.8 installer for iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/.

At the end of the installation it should announce that a further software update is required.

Or wait for Apple to release iTunes 12.9 for Mac. 😕

tt2

Sep 20, 2018 9:52 AM in response to turingtest2

Sir, I don't know how you do it that you always so marvellously come to my rescue
 you're a real treasure. đŸ€—

So, just a recap:

I downloaded and installed iTunes from here: iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple

I started the app, connected a phone. It told me it needed to install an update in order to be able to connect to my phone — a message I'd never seen before. It then started the update. Looked like this:User uploaded file

After it finished, I started the iTunes again, and voilà — there it is.

User uploaded file

Thank you so much for your help! You've brightened up my evening.

Dec 1, 2018 11:27 PM in response to Mike P CZ

**AMAZING**... I have been 'putting up with this' for months... I did search previously, but so glad I've found this, Nov 2018. I re-installed and also got:

User uploaded file

I cannot believe how incredibly arrogant and non caring Apple are? Why isn't this 'common knowledge'?? It has taken me months to 'fix' this.... just by accidentally stumbling across this post. I have searched before but obviously didn't use the right wording in google.

Apple, you are a disgrace to "it just works"....

Nov 1, 2018 3:40 AM in response to SASPro

I assume you've tried these steps exactly as given:

If so, and iTunes still isn't seeing the device, reboot the Mac into safe mode and see if that helps the discovery process complete.

If that hasn't worked you could try installing iTunes 12.6.5.3 from links in iTunes for Mac installers, connect to a new empty library on a temporary basis just to get communication established, then reinstall iTunes 12.8.0.150 and reconnect to your library, and hope the device is still recognized.

tt2

Sep 23, 2018 6:51 PM in response to turingtest2

OK, interesting development.

Just for the heck of it, I connected my new iPhone 7--I generally use iCloud for syncing my phone. Amazingly, I got the "install update" message, even though it is running the same iOS12 as the two iPods I've been unsuccessfully trying to connect. Once the update ran, and I re-started iTunes, it recognized the iPhone. Holding my breath, I then tried connecting the iPods, and it works! There must have been some kind of "memory" of the two iPods that didn't trigger the required update, but thankfully, connecting the iPhone did it.

Thanks so much for the advice! I spent HOURS wrestling with this today!

Oct 26, 2018 7:53 AM in response to Mike P CZ

A quick note:

1. Download iTunes 12.8

2. Make sure your iPhone is connected (USB) and unlocked before you run the installation.

3, During the installation process, you will get a prompt to install the update in order for your iPhone to connect.

4. After installation is complete, your iPhone will be visible in iTunes again.

Thanks again for the solution. Worked perfectly for me.

Oct 31, 2018 7:38 PM in response to turingtest2

MacBookPro (10.12.6) has iTunes 12.8.0.150

iPhone 5s is iOS 12.0.1.

Every combination of powercycling yields the same fail: iTunes has no idea that my iPhone is connected. And yes, Preview can see iPhone attached and download photos. I don't need that, I need.

iTunes 12.9 seems to be not recommended for anything but the most current OS.

Funny, as I just updated by MBP OS to 10.12 (going more current would break too many critical apps if you must know) for the main reason that my iPhone stopped being able to sync with iTunes, saying that its iOS 12 needed an OS of at least 10.11. At least before I upgraded, iTunes could SEE it. Now the iPhone icon doesn't even show up.

Nov 1, 2018 10:24 AM in response to turingtest2

Hey TuringTest2

Thanks for the quick response. And, no I didn't *exactly* try your recipe yesterday as the link you’d provided was broken, and I figured it wouldn’t help anyway as I'd just installed OS10.12 earlier in the day and therefore iTunes 12.8.0.150 was “fresh.” Your other “iTunes for Mac installers” link wasn’t broken, however, so I downloaded 12.8 from there, re-installed and followed your procedure and it's working, the iPhone is seen by iTunes.

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2018 11:44 PM in response to Mike P CZ

I had the same experience with an iPod touch with IOS 12.1, not detected on iTunes 12.8 on macOS Sierra. Decided to un-install iTunes and install the older version 12.6.3 (with App store). The iPod was then detected. Support told me upgrade to macOS Mojave, which is not an option for me now. iTunes 12.9 was released for Windows, which I believe addressed this incompatibility.

iTunes 12.8.0.150 Doesn't See iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.