Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Schlage Sense lock not responding on Homekit

Hi

I have recently updated my iPhone iOS to iOS12. Everything works fine except for my smart lock on Homekit, where I am not able to lock/unlock the door remotely. Also, the lock always show as "Not Responding" on my Homekit app.

My smart lock is - Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with Century Trim.

Here is the brief history of what happened:

1) Prior to updating to iOS12

- When my devices were still on iOS11.4, all the appliances in my Homekit works fine, which includes the smart lock. I can unlock and lock my door remotely via the Homekit app (and also the Schlage Sense app) from iCloud. I can also lock the door when I am home via Siri on my Homepod via my home wifi network.

2) After updating to iOS12

- All my smart devices works fine EXCEPT for my smart lock where it keep showing "Not Responding" on my Homekit app and also the Schlage Sense app (with an Unreachable status)

- I can't lock/unlock my Schlage Smart lock remotely (via iCloud) or when I am in my home wifi network

- If i need to lock/unlock the lock, i will need to be in close range. I guess this works because my iOS devices are connected to the lock via Bluetooth.

My iPhone is iPhone 8Plus running on iOS12 and my iPad is iPad Air 1st Generation which is also running on iOS 12.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Let me know if you need any other additional information to diagnose this issue.

Cheers

Bert

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 10:36 PM

106 replies

Nov 14, 2018 9:02 AM in response to iOS Software Engineer

This might help:

"Set up HomePod as a home hub

HomePod automatically sets itself up as a home hub so you can control your HomeKit accessories remotely with the Home app and create home automations. Just make sure that the iOS device you used to set up HomePod is signed in to iCloud with the Apple ID that you used to set up your HomeKit accessories in the Home app."

Also, this might help:
"Check the status of your home hub

You can check the status of your home hub, like if it's connected, in the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.

• On your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch: Tap User uploaded file in the upper-left corner. If you have multiple homes set up, tap Home Settings, then tap a home. Look under Home Hubs to see if your home hub is connected.
  • On your Mac: Go to Edit > Edit Home. Then look under Home Hubs to see if your home hub is connected. To check the status of a home hub in a different home that's set up in the Home app, tap Homes in the upper-left corner, then click a home.

To check if your Apple TV is set up as a home hub, go to Settings on your Apple TV, then click AirPlay > Room and make sure that you assign your Apple TV to a room in the Home app.*

If you have multiple home hubs set up, the primary home hub will show as connected. The other home hubs will show Standby as their status and will take over remote access if the main home hub is disconnected."

This all comes from: Set up your HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

In addition, you might want to look at this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/8q9jub/change_primary_hub/

Sep 27, 2018 8:15 PM in response to ianivs

Same here. I updated my iPhone X and TVOS to v12 , and ever since then my Schlage sense smart displays “No Response” in HomeKit and “Unreachable” in the Schlage app.

I find this completely unacceptable given I’m in the IT field and go through the Lifecycle Dev process myself based on dependent applications myself, multiple times throughout the year.

Schlage, fix this!! It’s on you. Just posting here so that there is documentation from the HK side.

My 5 other HK devices work fine since updating TVOS and iOS.

Oct 12, 2018 10:43 PM in response to Heartbreaker81

I've got some good news for everyone hopefully. I had all the same problems reported by everyone on this issue. I've got an iPhone 6s Plus, and even installed the latest iOS 12.0.1 update. However, this didn't resolve the issue.

The resolution to the problem was to do a factory reset on the Schlage lock, and then reinstall the lock. This will take you about 60 minutes to complete from start to finish. You'll find the procedure for a factory reset from the Schlage site, specific to your model. My model was Schlage Sense SMART DEADBOLT.

Before you do a factory reset, you'll need the factory default codes for programming/activating the lock again. These codes are on the front of your Schlage Sense manual. If you don't have the manual, I believe they are also on the inside of the lock on a sticker; check the battery case that slips out. You'll need the:

• Programming code
  • and either User Code A, or User Code B (default unlock codes)
  • and the Setup Code

Steps to get things working again: (60 mins.)

1. Removed (deleted) the lock accessory from the Home app on my iPhone.
  2. Check the Schlage Sense app; you shouldn't see a lock in the app anymore.
  3. Close the Home app, and the Schlage Sense app.
  4. Remove the cover from the lock, and disconnect the battery connection.
  5. From the outside side of the door, hold down the Schlage button on the keypad, and connect the battery again. This will perform the reset.
  6. You'll need to enter that factory default "programming code" now to activate the lock. It'll do it's lock/unlock thing, once or twice, and then stop - should be ready to connect to now.
  7. Ok, now open your Schlage Sense app again, and click on the lock icon to connect to your lock. Select the Apple HomeKit option, and the Schlage Sense app will launch the iOS Home app for you to scan your Setup code from your manual (it's the sticker on the front of your manual with a little home icon and bar code)
  8. After successfully connecting via the Home app, try locking and unlocking from your iPhone; hopefully this is working well - mine is working with no problems whatsoever (no more "not responding" status messages).
  9. If you've made it successfully this far, you can go in and enter all your personal pin codes for the lock again, using the Schlage Sense app: click on the people icon, and you can enter your codes and descriptions for each.

Everything was working after this.

• I had to (there was a red badge notification) confirm the time zone setting in the Schlage Sense app.
  • I also had to re-apply personal preferences again (such as auto-lock after 4 minutes).
  • And I after I closed and re-opened the Schlage Sense app again (one more time, just to be sure), I was prompted to do a firmware update - which I decided to chance, and install - and everything is still working fine (this took another 20 minutes though).

Hope this helps most people out. Good luck everyone! If this fails to work, you're no worse off than you were, not being able to lock/unlock from your phone. You could still programmatically set your personal codes on the keypad - and continue to use your keypad to lock/unlock the door. But hopefully this helps most people, and saves some of you from thinking you'll need to buy a replacement lock.

Nov 14, 2018 7:39 AM in response to Heartbreaker81

My Schlage Smart Sense lock stopped responding via wifi too, but after resetting (detach battery cap for 15sec), and rebooting iPhone X and iPad Air (hub) -- OK now. I am running thru ...

1. 4th Gen ATV on tvOS 12.1
  2. iPhone X on ios 12.0.1 (wants me to upgrade to 12.1 now)
  3. iPad Air on ios 11.4.1 (wants me to upgrade to 12)

Now I'm terrified to upgrade any device further, and risk losing my wifi connection to Smart Lock

Nov 27, 2018 7:58 AM in response to Heartbreaker81

I have experienced the same issue over the past several months finally decided to tackle this this morning! I am using an Apple 4th generation and a Schlage Sense Lock primarily using the Schlage Sense App to manage users and see the history. For the past 6 or more months I seemed to lose all remote accessibility to my lock and had to stand within 10 feet or so to control the lock. After looking at several posts I believe this has something to do with Apple's updates to iOS and/or tvOS on the AppleTV.

What I noticed on my iPhone was that within settings under my Apple ID I noticed that my Apple tV was listed. I deleted this and my Schlage Sense app started working again and was able to connect even though I was out of BlueTooth range. However if I tried to cast anything from my phone back to my appletv it added the AppleTV back in on my list of devices on my iphone under Apple ID.

What I wound up doing on my AppleTV to fix this issue (really a work around for now) was logging out of icloud, itunes and game center. All three of these use your Apple ID. I believe that iCloud is the culprit here.

1. Go to Settings>Accounts>
  2. iCloud>logout
  3. iTunes and App Store>Logout
  4. Game Center>Logout

Once I did that my Schlage Sense magically reconnected. I just did this this morning so time will tell if this will continue to work but I believe Apple needs to address this issue and I believe it is tied to the iCloud account! I know this will not be ideal for everyone but in my situation it works.....

Good Luck

Oct 6, 2018 5:50 AM in response to Heartbreaker81

Despite what Schlage might say, this is THEIR issue, not Apple’s. Apple cannot possible test EVERY SINGLE device out there from EVERY SINGLE manufacturer to make sure it’s compatible with new iOS changes—that’s on the manufacturer to make sure their products work with Apple’s OS.

From the number of you having issues with this specific lock, and the nature of it, I venture a guess that Schlage needs to release a firmware update for its hardware and/or an update for its iOS app. I guarantee unless Schlage has initiated something to work with Apple on a solution that Apple is not bothering with this minor inconvenience.

Oct 8, 2018 7:45 AM in response to capnhaggis

I spoke to Schlage and they told me the issue is with Apple. They also said that I can use Bluetooth to lock/unlock my door with the Schlage app.

This is the reason why I selected HomeKit so I can remotely check and lock the doors!!!!!

I don’t know whose fault it maybe. Did Schlage use private API And Apple changed it causing their lock to fail? Or did iOS 12 break something?

I think Schlage will need to update their firmware to make it work with HomeKit.

Oct 8, 2018 8:24 AM in response to iOS Software Engineer

In short, Schlage lied. Apple can’t conform their platform to all the 3rd party accessories. Completely impractical and unrealistic.

Apple supplies it’s hardware compliance specs to developers, and it’s the accessory owners responsibility to comply with and update their apps/product firmware as needed with new releases. (BTW, this happened with iOS10 update as well, and took them 5 months to fix).

I recommend everyone on this page review their app in the apps store with 1 star, and list this issue as the cause. Reality is that Schlage won’t do anything until it starts affecting their bottom line, and the sense is still a very small profit item for them.

https://www.imore.com/how-create-your-own-HomeKit-enabled-accessories

Oct 11, 2018 6:38 AM in response to Heartbreaker81

Greetings:

I'm also experiencing issues with HomeKit and Schlage Sense, however; the issue I experience is a barrage of HomeKit notification about my Schlage Sense supposedly locking/unlocking . . . up to eighteen times in a minute! If I view the Schlage Sense lock in the Schlage iOS app., it appears normal (i.e. locked as it physically is). I'm not sure what is prompting HomeKit to register changes multiple times within a short burst. This began after updating to iOS 12.0.1 - prior to that, I had no issues.

I'm tempted to delete the Schlage Sense locks from HomeKit and rely solely on the Schlage Sense iOS app

Oct 11, 2018 6:44 AM in response to Heartbreaker81

I could say that my August Lock and Kevo locks don’t have any problem.

My Schlage Sense is giving false notifications about the door being unlocked (or locked). It’s also not allowing me to unlock the door with HomeKit or Siri.

If I use their app within Bluetooth range, it does work.

I think I may end up going to Home Depot and getting another lock instead!

Oct 16, 2018 2:19 PM in response to Heartbreaker81

I've got the same issues, I had already the done a factory reset on the Schlage lock (as DarrinM905 mentioned), but I was not as lucky since it did not help.

I have logged out of iCloud on the AppleTV. I have two Apple TVs in the house and changing it from one to the other does nothing to resolved the issue.

Anyone have something else that got the lock back up and running with Homekit?

Schlage Sense lock not responding on Homekit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.