Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers offline

I have just updated to Numbers 5.2 and I cannot edit my shared documents because it says Numbers is offline.

The green sharing icon has a red exclamation point and upon clicking anything I get the alert: “Numbers is connecting to iCloud. You’ll be able to edit this shared spreadsheet once Numbers is online.”

Needless to say, I am online, iCloud is properly sync’d and the iPad where the shared account receives and sees the docs works flawlessly and is connected.

What is happening?

What can I do?

Thank you

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 7:34 AM

Similar questions

20 replies

Sep 22, 2018 7:32 AM in response to NotationMaster

Hey Boneslasher,

I understand you're unable to connect to Numbers to access shared content through iCloud. I'd be happy to help.

Since you've already checked your internet connection, I'd suggest force quitting the app and trying again:

How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support
If that doesn't resolve your issue, test in a new user:
How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Cheers!

Sep 22, 2018 5:42 PM in response to NotationMaster

I haven't used the collaboration much so I'm not sure whether you can edit while offline. Perhaps you create and share a document just for testing, and experiment with that.

I understand that when 'Optimize Mac Storage' is unchecked a copy of all documents in iCloud Drive are kept locally on the Mac as well. When it is checked a local copy is kept on the Mac only if there is sufficient storage space. More explanation here. I have plenty of storage capacity on my Mac so I leave it unchecked.

SG

Sep 22, 2018 8:41 AM in response to chris_g1

Hello Chris,

thank you for your help.

I tried what you said, nothing works.

I suspect a problem in the Numbers update because everything was working before the last update.

Now it is either giving me the "Offline" status or it is preventing me for going through the sharing process.

It just never stops spinning ...

What can be done?

Thank you

Sep 22, 2018 9:30 AM in response to Wayne Contello

A little update:

I have tried to access my shared document on Numbers for iCloud and ... the collaboration works perfectly.

The same documents, opened on Numbers for iOS (updated to the latest version), work flawlessly.

It really seems an issue isolated to Numbers for Mac.

I really hope those geniuses in California didn't try to make us update iWork apps that will work fine only under Mojave... because if it is so, my Time Machine already knows what to do...

Sep 22, 2018 12:31 PM in response to SGIII

Everything is checked ... as it was before the latest update.

I would gladly sign out of iCloud but I have 120GB of data on iCloud Drive and macOS will ask me to keep a copy on the disk and all the rest... it will take ages...

I find this process very painful and never clean ... I either have to re-download everything (if I choose not to keep) or end up with a copy of the iCloud Drive folder which I will then have to remove or copy, with duplicates which will (for experience...) appear everywhere on other devices...

Is there any way to just sign out and sign in without all this pain?

Let me know if I can do anything else to solve this.

Remove the app and download it again? Or anything else ...

Could you confirm if your documents are all properly working?

Is it only ... me and my Mac?

Sep 22, 2018 3:33 PM in response to SGIII

YES!

This did the thing! You're a genius!

Thank you!

Just two questions more:

1) will I still be able to edit my shared documents when my computer is offline (e.g.: without Wi-Fi)? Or is this feature intended only for documents you want to edit while connected?

2) yes I have 'Optimize Mac Storage' checked.

What will happen if I uncheck it? Should I? Why or why not?

Ok, the second question is 3-in-1, sorry, but ...!

Thank you for your help!

Sep 23, 2018 1:06 AM in response to NotationMaster

Then I think I will turn it off as well, I have 500GB and I can erase other things in case the space gets cramped.

I get so many issues with iCloud Drive these days.

The fact that every edit re-uploads the file from the beginning instead of doing incremental updates makes working with big files almost impossible.

Thank you so much for your help!

Have a great day!

Oct 3, 2018 5:51 PM in response to NotationMaster

I'm having a slightly similar issue with being offline and unable to connect my documents to iCloud for collaborating.

The difference is that I'm on Numbers 5.1 on Sierra, and the Numbers app is giving me a warning to go to the free update to 5.2 in the App Store. The problem here is that it's incompatible with Sierra, so I'm not upgrading my OS just for Numbers, and I primarily use this machine for audio work. I won't be upgrading to Mojave until everything I use is known to be working.

Oct 4, 2018 7:55 AM in response to Barry

I got on the phone with Apple last night, and this seems to be an uncommon but known bug. The problem isn’t exactly with Numbers itself or even iCloud, but with the ability to collaborate on a document.

When working on a shared document, Numbers shows an warning marker on the collaborate button, and gives me three options:

1. Go to the App Store to update (the update is incompatible with Sierra).

2. “Not now,” which puts the document offline and uneditable.

3. Use Numbers on iCloud.com.

For now, I’m having to work on iOS and iCloud.com, having to bounce back and forth between the two to do certain things that work better on each platform. I’ll have to stick to that until they figure out what the bug in collaboration is.

Numbers offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.