Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband noise gate issue - can't remove background noise from a recording

Hi there, I've got a problem with the noise gate plug-in on Garageband that I would really appreciate some help with.

I'm producing a podcast and have an audio interview file (WAV) that has some background hum on it that I want to get rid of. However when I use the noise gate plug-in on the relevant track in Garageband I don't get any incremental reductions in the background noise as I slowly move the slider to the right. Although it does cut all the sound off when I move the slider farther over.

The noise gate seems to be either turning the track volume on or off and isn't offering any subtle reductions in the background hum. Could this be a memory or processor issue perhaps? Really hope someone can help as I need to fix this and get the podcast out soon! Relevant specs below.

iMac running MacOS High Sierra (Version 10.13.6)

Processor - 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory - 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Garageband (Version 10.3.1)

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 2:48 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Sep 22, 2018 5:20 AM in response to justynasowa

justynasowa wrote:

when I use the noise gate plug-in on the relevant track in Garageband I don't get any incremental reductions in the background noise as I slowly move the slider to the right. Although it does cut all the sound off when I move the slider farther over.

this sounds like you may misunderstand what a noise gate is and how it works.

in an ELI5 analogy: think of the noise gate as a tiny man with his finger hovering over a mute button. any time the signal drops below a certain level (the noise gate's 'threshold' setting) he pushes the mute button. as soon as the signal rises above the threshold he releases the mute button.

a noise gate can be very useful in cutting out breath sounds between spoken/sung passages, but it's not truly a noise removal tool. if there is a quiet hum, a noise gate could silence it between words, but once the level goes above the threshold (when someone is speaking) the noise gate unmutes and lets all sound go through.

if the hum is noticeable during spoken passages, or is too loud to use the noise gate anyway, what you might try is figuring out at what frequency the hum occurs (a 60Hz hum is a typical issue) and use an EQ to try to reduce it.

outside of that, Audacity is a free audio editing program that does offer 'noise reduction/removal' tools, that may be worth exploring.

Garageband noise gate issue - can't remove background noise from a recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.