Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS screen blurs horribly when scrolling! Beware!

Beware the iPhone XS and XS Max! Their screens seem to have a fundamental flaw or bug that makes them unusable in low light conditions! To explain:

Yesterday, my iPhone XS arrived. Having paid almost $2,500 for the XS, Ode to Joy played in the background as I unboxed it -- must be an underfloor gnome quartet just waiting for Apple products to arrive -- and I quickly set it up. For good measure, I berated the iPhone 7 it replaced and put it in the corner of the room so it could learn its lesson. It sadly observed through its rear-facing camera while I frolicked with the XS and enjoyed its wonderful OLED screen.

As the day waned and night set in, the screen began to darken. It was at this point that I started to get a strange feeling when reading and scrolling through text with the XS. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something wasn't right and I started to feel a bit unsettled. At the end of the night, I took the phone to bed with me so that I could do a last bit of reading. It was at this point that I realized there was a major problem with the XS and its screen. Who or what was this thing that I had brought to bed with me? Like my iPhone 7, I figured that this would-be bed fellow was well behaved in the sack. It wasn't!

When scrolling with the XS in low light conditions, there is considerable blurring on text and images, which makes text unreadable and gave me a headache last night, keeping me awake for hours. The problem is extremely pronounced in low-light conditions when screen brightness is low. Notably, primary colors (red, green, and blue) seems to ghost away from black or other colors, particularly black text on a white background. This is obviously a MAJOR problem for anyone who likes to read at night because it makes the phone not just unusable, but an actual health hazard because it causes headaches!

Is this a hardware or software issue? Does the screen refresh rate or interlacing have anything to do with it? Seems like a MAJOR problem for people like me who like to read in bed at night!

The iPhone XS is simply not usable in low light conditions for reading and similar tasks. Can a fix be provided ASAP? If not, I'm going to have to return the phone and go back to my iPhone 7, which did not have this problem.

MZ

iPhone Xs, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 6:39 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Sep 29, 2018 5:16 AM in response to mzyphur

Same issue here:(, recieved phone yesterday & the blur as you scroll anything at any condition is horrible.

I even went to multiple shops & checked the demo units & same issue. I even took snapshots & reported this to apple support & feedback. Still no guidance what so ever.

It gives me a headache & nausea. I am taking it to the service center tomorrow & don’t want this phone if not solved. Am back to my lovely iphone 7.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Oct 1, 2018 5:07 PM in response to wissam220

Screenshots are less than helpful since they will catch motion artifacts that the human eye normally cannot.

However, if you are sensitive to it (some people are, some aren't) it likely will not get "better" so you may want to return your device; you can always purchase one later if you later find the issue is gone.

I certainly don't see anything strange with my XS Max.

iPhone XS screen blurs horribly when scrolling! Beware!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.