Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Infographic face missing Mail and Messages complcation

Am I missing something or are the new infographic faces missing complications for mail, messages, and phone. If I am not missing something Apple, please fix this now!!

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 8:15 AM

The new Infographic faces (new to Watch 4) do not offer either Mail or Messages as configurable complications. Which seems very odd. Unless anyone else has discovered otherwise. Hopefully they will update this shortly - so for now, reverting to old watch face set-up.

156 replies

Sep 24, 2018 11:46 AM in response to terpsmandan

Looks like we are waiting for WatchOS 5.0.1... I spoke to a senior Apple technical support rep this weekend (22Sept2018) and he went off to speak to engineering and get back to me. He just got back to me by email and these are his exact words: "I did get a response back from the engineers, and they told me that they are aware of some of the built-in complications not working with the new faces. As such, a fix will come out as a software update."

Sep 25, 2018 6:21 AM in response to terpsmandan

Yes the lack of consistency between available Complications is frustrating. Take the Modular and Inforgraph Modular faces:

User uploaded file

You can see Battery and Date are consistent, but Email, Messages and Now Playing cannot be added to Infograph Modular. Likewise Modular cannot display Weather Conditions or Wind (perhaps understandable as Modular is the older watch face).

Interestingly both will show Weather, but present the data differently. And both will show Activity the same.

I'd like to see the Complications settings in the Watch app on iPhone actually show which apps provide which Complications. It's confusing when you have multiple weather apps installed to know exactly what app has made the Complication.

Oct 10, 2018 12:14 PM in response to J90JGD

J90JGD: I think the root of the problem is that the two new faces introduced some new types of complications: (1) angled corner complications which can fit into a corner and show a symbol as well as a curved sliding scale or text (new Infograph face, corner complications), (2) that big central type of complication that can display text around the edge of the watch face (top center of new Infograph face), and larger richer rectangle complications which can display more data (across the middle of the new Infograph Modular face). Plus I am sure there are additional under-the-hood changes to those complication APIs such as the ability to refresh complication data more often, etc. I suspect that for whatever reason certain of the first party legacy applications like Mail, Messages, Stopwatch, telephone, just have not had their complications updated to work with those new complication slots. Hopefully what happened is more in the nature of delay than deliberate design; hopefully the engineers were just busy fixing other things broken by WatchOS 5.0, or maybe they didn't find out about the new faces/new complications until the last minute because of Apple's strict secrecy policy. If either is the case hopefully it will be rectified soon (as some folks at  customer support have hinted). What we hope is NOT the case is that Apple didn't think we needed those complications updated because we could just stick with a legacy face (such as the old Modular face) if those complications were important to us . That would suck. Like others on this thread, I would like to migrate my most used complications (such as Messages) to one of the fresh new Watch 5.0 faces that really take advantage of the size of the new watch screen. Fingers crossed. AS A REMINDER TO THOSE WHO ARE NEW TO THIS THREAD, PLEASE MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD - go to this  Watch feedback form and request that the legacy first party complications be updated to work with the new faces: https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

Oct 10, 2018 12:24 PM in response to Mr. Luigi

Mr. Luigi: try moving Pedometer++ complication into one of the corner slots in the new Infographic face - when used in circular slot, it just shows a ring of progress, but when used in a corner slot it shows steps and a progress bar.

Similar to that, the paid versions of the Carrot weather app allow you to specify (via the preference settings in the iphone Carrot app) different information you want shown depending on where you put the complication.

In other words, if you put the Carrot complication in the left of the watch face it will show one thing (e.g. humidity, if you put it in the top it will show chance of precipitation, and if you put it in the corner it will show air pressure/barometer. For example, here is a "weather" face devoted entirely to seeing the weather at a glance. It was built entirely by reusing the Carrot complication multiple times in different locations then adding in Apple's first party Moonphase, Sunset, AQI and UV index complications in the remaining slots.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Oct 11, 2018 3:07 AM in response to XTopherM

XTopherM wrote:

J90JGD: I think the root of the problem is that the two new faces introduced some new types of complications: (1) angled corner complications which can fit into a corner and show a symbol as well as a curved sliding scale or text (new Infograph face, corner complications), (2) ...

...[snip for easy reading]...

AS A REMINDER TO THOSE WHO ARE NEW TO THIS THREAD, PLEASE MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD - go to this  Watch feedback form and request that the legacy first party complications be updated to work with the new faces: https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

@XtopherM that's an excellent summary which matches my thoughts. No guarantee we are correct but if I had to bet beer on it I think someone else would be buying.

Oct 18, 2018 2:54 PM in response to J90JGD

I already clarified what I said but you didn't seem to get my point. The new modular face feels like a downgrade from the old one. Why would anyone use it if they rely heavily on Messages and Mail complications that are missing. For a lot of people without these there is no incentive to buy the new series 4.

What an idiotic move from Apple.

And I already put in my feedback thanks.

Here's another link for all you other frustrated folks just in case you didn't see it:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Dec 16, 2018 7:54 PM in response to JDcopper

You're not addressing Apple on this user to user only forum. So, your comment will go nowhere.

If you want to let Apple know your thoughts, use this link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

I don't quite understand why you don't have these complications using 5.1.2. Were you by any chance using Beta software on your iPhone? If you were/are, that could be the problem.

Sep 22, 2018 7:43 AM in response to terpsmandan

It would help if you identify the model of phone you are referring to. You post this in the Watch forum, and there are no indication what Apple Watch you may or may not have. Additional information is necessary to answer your question. Please provide all information about the device you are referring to, since your profile refers to the iPhone 4.

Sep 24, 2018 3:47 AM in response to terpsmandan

Just confirming I also have no messages or mail complications under the new Infographic faces.

I also don't have any third party complication options for my apps (Omnifocus etc). That's very understandable that they would still just be being developed but it is weird that Apple did not get these obvious ones ready in time.

To be honest I feel a bit annoyed this has not been mentioned in a single review I have seen of the Series 4.

Likewise I will have just use an old watch face for now and try to be patient.

Sep 24, 2018 12:02 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hey Chris: the issue is that with WatchOS 5 on the Series 4 devices which introduce the new "Infograph" and "Infograph Modular" faces, the list of complications you can select for use on those faces is severely limited compared to the list of complications you could select for use on older traditional faces on WatchOS 4. For example, the native  "telephone" and "messages" complications are not available on those new faces, but on those very same devices those complications are still available on the older faces such as the traditional "Modular" face and the "Explorer" face. I strongly suspect that what is going on is that the new faces require/define a new type of complication (for example, it needs to be able to be put diagonally in a corner) and many of the apps have not had their complications updated yet (even native ones, which is flabbergasting). As I stated in a reply to this thread,  Engineering is apparently working on it, but it is a really frustrating out of box experience for new Series 4 customers. Thanks!

Infographic face missing Mail and Messages complcation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.