Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens when I import a 4k video into a 1080p project?

I created a multicam clip that has one angle that was shot in 4k, and the other angles were shot in 1080p. The project is set to 1080p, and I wanted to use the extra resolution in the 4k angle so that I could crop into the shot. So when I was adjusting the "Scale" parameter of my 4k video, I was expecting to have to set it to 50% to make it fit the screen. But it turns out that it shows the scale to be at 100% when it's full screen -- same as the 1080p clips.

So my question is -- am I losing resolution in my 4k clip when I crop into the image? For example, if I were to set the scale to 200% on my 4k clip, would it look just as pixelated as if I were to do the same with a 1080p clip?

I'm using FCP 10.4. Thanks.

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel, 32 GBram

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 6:53 PM

There are three options for Spatial Conform. The meaning of 100% scaling depends on whic option is applied.

The default is Fit. For this 100% means the clip fits completely in the frame. So in the case of a 4K clip in a 1080 frame, 100% of Fit is actually 50% of full size.

None means 100% is full size.

There is also Fill - which in this case has the same effect as Fit. 100% of Fill means the clip is scaled the necessary amount to er... Fill the frame.

Fit and Fill coincide when the clip and project have the same aspect ratio.

As Tom suggested, choosing None is a good idea in this case.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 6:53 PM in response to Jeremy Bell2

There are three options for Spatial Conform. The meaning of 100% scaling depends on whic option is applied.

The default is Fit. For this 100% means the clip fits completely in the frame. So in the case of a 4K clip in a 1080 frame, 100% of Fit is actually 50% of full size.

None means 100% is full size.

There is also Fill - which in this case has the same effect as Fit. 100% of Fill means the clip is scaled the necessary amount to er... Fill the frame.

Fit and Fill coincide when the clip and project have the same aspect ratio.

As Tom suggested, choosing None is a good idea in this case.

What happens when I import a 4k video into a 1080p project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.